1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to figure out percentages

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'm a complete math idiot and was wondering if somebody could help me out with an equation that I'm trying to solve.

Lets say I have the following percentages that equal 100%

24.57%
    44.59%
    3.64%
    18.20%
    9%

Now lets say I want to remove the 9% but I want the remaining 4 numbers to still equal 100%. How would I distribute the 9% difference? I should also add, I don't want to divide the 9% by 4 and then equal distribute that among the numbers I want them to absorb according to their current percentage. If that makes any sense at all.

Thanks
    -Brandon

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, it's probably simpler to convert all of your numbers to decimal fractions, and get rid of the %. This makes your first four numbers

Now divide each of these numbers by .91, which will give you a new set of numbers that will add to 1.0. All of the numbers will be proportionally larger than what you started with.

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3
    Thanks

Thanks for you help on this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook