Solving Percentages: Remove 9% and Keep Total at 100%

• Thread starter brandozz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the person is asking for help with a math equation involving percentages. They want to remove 9% from a total of 100% while keeping the remaining four numbers adding up to 100%. They do not want to divide the 9% equally among the four numbers. Instead, they are advised to convert the percentages to decimal fractions and then divide each number by .91 to get a new set of numbers that add up to 100%.
brandozz
Hi all,

I'm a complete math idiot and was wondering if somebody could help me out with an equation that I'm trying to solve.

Lets say I have the following percentages that equal 100%

24.57%
44.59%
3.64%
18.20%
9%

Now let's say I want to remove the 9% but I want the remaining 4 numbers to still equal 100%. How would I distribute the 9% difference? I should also add, I don't want to divide the 9% by 4 and then equal distribute that among the numbers I want them to absorb according to their current percentage. If that makes any sense at all.

Thanks
-Brandon

Mathematics news on Phys.org
brandozz said:
Hi all,

I'm a complete math idiot and was wondering if somebody could help me out with an equation that I'm trying to solve.

Lets say I have the following percentages that equal 100%

24.57%
44.59%
3.64%
18.20%
9%

Now let's say I want to remove the 9% but I want the remaining 4 numbers to still equal 100%. How would I distribute the 9% difference? I should also add, I don't want to divide the 9% by 4 and then equal distribute that among the numbers I want them to absorb according to their current percentage. If that makes any sense at all.

Thanks
-Brandon

First off, it's probably simpler to convert all of your numbers to decimal fractions, and get rid of the %. This makes your first four numbers

Now divide each of these numbers by .91, which will give you a new set of numbers that will add to 1.0. All of the numbers will be proportionally larger than what you started with.

Thanks

Thanks for you help on this!

1. What is the formula for calculating percentages?

The formula for calculating percentages is (part/whole) x 100. This means you divide the part by the whole and then multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage.

2. How do I find the percentage of a number?

To find the percentage of a number, you can use the formula (part/whole) x 100. For example, if you want to find 20% of 50, you would multiply 50 by 20% (or 0.20) to get 10.

3. What is the difference between a percentage and a decimal?

A percentage is a way of expressing a number as a fraction of 100, while a decimal is a way of expressing a number as a fraction of 1. For example, 50% is the same as 0.50 in decimal form.

4. How do I convert a percentage to a decimal?

To convert a percentage to a decimal, simply move the decimal point two places to the left. For example, 50% would become 0.50.

5. How do I calculate the original amount from a percentage?

To calculate the original amount from a percentage, you can use the formula (part/percentage) x 100. For example, if you know that 25% of a number is 50, you would divide 50 by 25% (or 0.25) to get the original number of 200.