Trying to figure out this encryption business Does anyone know how datalock works

Main Question or Discussion Point

I use my computer for everything. All of my uns and pws and class info; even my bills are stored here. I am kinda paranoid about someone taking my laptop, and putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off. A friend told me I should try data encryption. I found this PC Mag review of Datalock (just Google ‘pc mag datalock’).

Will datalock prevent someone from putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off?

They got a 60 day free trial, is it worth trying (I hate trials that don’t do anything)?

The trial is on the zonealarm website, just click datalock.

Answers and Replies

fss

Will datalock prevent someone from putting all my data over the internet, or taking my identity and ripping me off?
No. Encryption just makes data unreadable unless you have the key.

The best things you can do to prevent identity theft or data compromise is to use smart browsing habits (i.e. no public WiFi, SSL pages when possible, no banking off of secured connections) and strong passwords.

Encryption would be exactly as fss describes. The advantage is that no matter what happens, even if they take it, they can't read it. So there's no threat to you.

My entire Home drive is encrypted on my laptop. If you don't have my password you can't read it.

Encryption would be exactly as fss describes. The advantage is that no matter what happens, even if they take it, they can't read it. So there's no threat to you.

My entire Home drive is encrypted on my laptop. If you don't have my password you can't read it.