How can I find the normal force without knowing the applied force?

In summary, to find the least force needed to hold a 1.1 kg board in place against a wall with a coefficient of static friction of 0.71, you need to use Newton's second law in two directions. In the horizontal direction, the net force must be zero, meaning the force of the person holding the board and the normal force from the wall must balance. In the vertical direction, the weight of the board must be counteracted by the static friction force. This can be solved to find the minimum force needed to hold the board in place.
wsuhooper
Problem: You want to nail a 1.1 kg board onto the wall of a barn. To position the board before nailing, you push it against the wall with a horizontal force F to keep it from sliding to the ground. If the coefficient of static friction between the board and the wall is 0.71, what is the least force you can apply and still hold the board in place?

Thoughts: fsmax= coeffcient of friction*N.

I'm having trouble finding N because I'm used to it being parallel to W and in this case it's perpendicular. Without knowing the F the han dis exerting on the board I'm not sure how to go about finding N.

What I have tried is simply doing N as mass*gravity to get 10.79 then multiplying by the .71 but the online homework system is saying that answer is wrong.

Obviously there's something I'm not understanding correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the wall is vertical, so if you act on the board a horizontal force[tex]\vec{F}[/tex], the wall also act on it a normal force [tex]\vec{N}[/tex] and [tex]|\vec{N}|=|\vec{F}|[/tex].
To keep the board form falling, the friction force must satisfy the condition
[tex]F_{fr}\geq P[/tex]

How can I find the force if the object doesn't have any acceleration?

wsuhooper said:

Newton's second law maybe?

Just using my equation, you can find the answer. Try...

wsuhooper said:
Problem: You want to nail a 1.1 kg board onto the wall of a barn. To position the board before nailing, you push it against the wall with a horizontal force F to keep it from sliding to the ground. If the coefficient of static friction between the board and the wall is 0.71, what is the least force you can apply and still hold the board in place?

Thoughts: fsmax= coeffcient of friction*N.

I'm having trouble finding N because I'm used to it being parallel to W and in this case it's perpendicular. Without knowing the F the han dis exerting on the board I'm not sure how to go about finding N.

What I have tried is simply doing N as mass*gravity to get 10.79 then multiplying by the .71 but the online homework system is saying that answer is wrong.

Obviously there's something I'm not understanding correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to use Newton's second in two directions. In the horizontal direction we have two forces...the force on the nail by you (holding it) and the normal force on the nail from the wall. In the vertical direction we have the weight of the nail acting downward. In order for the nail to be stationary, there has to be a force acting upward...that's your static friction force. So set your net force component in each direction to zero and solve the system.

-Dan

wsuhooper said:

The gravitational force on any object is its weight.

What is the weight of a 1.1 kg object? (No, it's NOT "1.1 kg"- that's mass, not weight!)

1. What is a normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from passing through it.

2. How do you calculate the normal force?

The normal force can be calculated by using the formula: N = mg cosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface with respect to the horizontal.

3. When is the normal force equal to the weight of an object?

The normal force is equal to the weight of an object when the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity on a horizontal surface. This is because the object is not accelerating and the forces are balanced.

4. How does the normal force vary with the angle of the incline?

The normal force varies with the angle of the incline, as it is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle. As the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the normal force ever be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in a direction perpendicular to the surface and opposes the weight of the object. If the object is on an inclined plane, the normal force may be less than the weight of the object, but it will never be negative.