Trying to find an easy way to solve this

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about finding a better way to solve for the coefficients in a polynomial that satisfies certain conditions. The person suggests using a system of linear equations and matrices, and another person suggests using MATLAB to solve it. The conversation also touches on the complexity of using a recurrence relation with nested for loops to solve the problem.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

screen-capture-38.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I could make a REALLY complicated recurrence relation, one involving like 5 nested for loops, but I would prefer a better way of finding d1, ..., dn.

Is there a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uuh, what is the complete question?? All I can see is the question "Compute coefficients so that the polynomial..."

Maybe attach your pdf to here??

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

screen-capture-38.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I could make a REALLY complicated recurrence relation, one involving like 5 nested for loops, but I would prefer a better way of finding d1, ..., dn.

Is there a better way?

Whoops!

" ... so that the polynomial satisfies the n conditions

p(t1) = b1 , ... , p(tn) = bn "

Is the recurrence THAT complicated?? I'm really surprised how you can find 5 nested loops for this problem. Care to explain your reasoning?

What you could do is calculate (theoretically) p(t1),...,p(tn), and see what you get. It shouldn't be that hard...

micromass said:
Is the recurrence THAT complicated?? I'm really surprised how you can find 5 nested loops for this problem. Care to explain your reasoning?

What you could do is calculate (theoretically) p(t1),...,p(tn), and see what you get. It shouldn't be that hard...

I still think it's complicated.

We have

b1 = d1
b2 = d1 + d2(t2 - t1)
b3 = d1 + d2(t3 - t1) + d3(t3 - t1)(t3 - t2)
b4 = d1 + d2(t4 - t1) + d3(t4 - t1)(t4 - t2) + d4(t4 - t1)(t4 - t2)(t4 - t3)

And it got really messy when I tried to find a general formula for di in terms of di-1

Ah, yes, I see the problem

Jamin2112 said:
I still think it's complicated.

We have

b1 = d1
b2 = d1 + d2(t2 - t1)
b3 = d1 + d2(t3 - t1) + d3(t3 - t1)(t3 - t2)
b4 = d1 + d2(t4 - t1) + d3(t4 - t1)(t4 - t2) + d4(t4 - t1)(t4 - t2)(t4 - t3)
Express this as a system of linear equations, and thus as matrices. MATLAB is really good in solving these!

And it got really messy when I tried to find a general formula for di in terms of di-1

Don't worry with a general formula. I suppose you'll only need to solve it for specific values...

micromass said:

Express this as a system of linear equations, and thus as matrices.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh! HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT BEFORE?

[URL]http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1233445870_ae19b02.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:

Express this as a system of linear equations, and thus as matrices. MATLAB is really good in solving these!

Don't worry with a general formula. I suppose you'll only need to solve it for specific values...

Is this the sort of set-up I'll have?

screen-capture-39.png

Yes, it would be something like that that you'll get.

1. What is the best way to approach solving a complex problem?

The best way to approach solving a complex problem is by breaking it down into smaller, manageable tasks. This will make the problem seem less daunting and allow you to focus on one aspect at a time. Additionally, you can try various methods and strategies to see which one works best for you.

2. Is there a shortcut or easy way to solve a difficult problem?

While it may be tempting to look for shortcuts, there is no easy way to solve a difficult problem. It takes time, effort, and critical thinking to come up with a solution. However, you can make the process more efficient by utilizing available resources, seeking help from others, and staying organized.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your problem-solving skills, such as practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and learning from past experiences. It is also important to have a growth mindset and be open to trying new approaches and strategies.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when trying to solve a problem include jumping to conclusions, not considering all possible solutions, and not taking the time to fully understand the problem. It is also important to avoid getting stuck on one approach and being open to different perspectives.

5. How can I stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem?

Finding motivation can be challenging when faced with a difficult problem. To stay motivated, try setting small achievable goals, celebrating small successes, and taking breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to remind yourself why solving the problem is important and how it will benefit you in the long run.