Trying to find electric field

In summary, the electric potential in a certain region is given by V = αx2y2+βz2(x2-γ)+δy3z, where α = 5 V/m4, β = 4.5 V/m4, γ =6.8 m2, and δ = 7.1 V/m4. The y component of the electric field at the point (1.3 m, −3 m, 4.4 m) is Ey = 10x2y+21.3y2z.
Triathlete
The Problem:
The electric potential in a certain region is
V = αx2y2+βz2(x2-γ)+δy3z
where α = 5 V/m4, β = 4.5 V/m4, γ =6.8 m2, and δ = 7.1 V/m4.
What is the y component of the electric field Ey at (1.3 m, −3 m, 4.4 m)?
Answer in units of V/m

My Attempt:

I took the partial derivative with respect to y and got
Ey = 10x2y + 4.5z2(x2-6.8) + 21.3y2z

(But I think I may have done that wrong...)

I then plugged in my values for x, y, and z, and got 347.5968 as my answer, which was wrong. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got your middle term with the factor of 4.5? The middle term of V doesn't seem to depend on y.

Also, the components of E are not given by the partial derivatives of V (but close!)

Thanks for the response,
I knew I must have messed something up in that derivative. So it should be Ey = 10x2y+21.3y2z.

But if not the partial derivatives, then I am confused as to what I am supposed to be looking for.

Triathlete said:
But if not the partial derivatives, then I am confused as to what I am supposed to be looking for.

See here and note if there's something you left out.

Ooooh I see. Got it! Thanks so much!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is created by the presence of charged particles and can be visualized as a series of lines pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the electric field?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force acting on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge on the particle. The equation is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What is the unit of measurement for an electric field?

The unit of measurement for an electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. It can also be expressed as volts per meter (V/m) in the CGS system.

4. How does the electric field vary around a charged object?

The electric field around a charged object varies in strength and direction. The field is strongest near the charged object and becomes weaker as you move away from it. The direction of the field is always pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. How is an electric field different from an electric potential?

An electric field describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential describes the potential energy of a charged particle. The electric field is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity. Additionally, the electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb, while electric potential is measured in volts.