1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find height

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    On a hot summer day, a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole . When she lets go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.05 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal.
    If she is in flight for 0.614 , how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?

so I think it forms a right triangle and from there I just use the pythagorean theorem and then the Y is my height?

I just have no idea

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

This is a resistanceless projectile problem, that means her trajectory will be a parabola. You will have to use kinematic equations. What's the kinematic equation for the y-direction motion? What acceleration is she subjected to in the y-direction?

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    are you talking about y=Yo+VyoT+1/2Ayt^2?

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I am indeed. You want to find [itex]y_0[/itex] in that equation.

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5
    I think acceleration is 9.81

7. Jun 8, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Almost, don't forget gravity is pulling her down while she is flying up so it's -9.81. You can also calculate v_y and you know t.

8. Jun 8, 2009 #7
    Isn't y=0 and Vyo 2.05 m/s ?

9. Jun 8, 2009 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

She stops being in flight when she hits the surface of the water, which is where we have set our 0 point, so indeed y=0. However vy0 is not 2.05 m/s v=2.05 m/s, which is a vector that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. You want to know the y-component of this vector.

10. Jun 8, 2009 #9
    Oh OKay! I see what you're saying so in order to get Voy you have to use 2.05 in the equation 2.05sin(35) and then plug in the equation from there! That makes sense! Thank you so much! But, I have a question, I thought that you only used that equation for magnitude like y=r * sin() ....you can place velocity in there too ?

11. Jun 8, 2009 #10

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yep that is correct. I am not entirely sure what your last question is. However you always use the equation along the path the acceleration is in. The only acceleration in this problem is g, which acts along the y-direction. You also know that when she lets go she first goes up and then goes down. Therefore her trajectory is a parabola with a maximum, instead of minimum. So the constant in front of the quadratic term needs to be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook