Trying to find info on reaction of CuCl2 + HCl+ Al(solid)

It is important to note that HCl is used for pH reasons, and not as a reactant in the etching process. To find more information and understand the stoichiometry of this reaction, you can search on the web or through journals.
HappMatt
I'm working on etching al using this as etchant though I have no clue what the balanced equation is and have not been able to find it. I'm not a chemist though I have had a few semesters of college chem. Never took inorganic and would appreciate some advice on where to look for info and stoicheometry of the reaction. I have been looking both on the web and through journals with no luck, other than I think the CuCl2 does the etching and I thing the HCl is the for ph reasons, though that is just based on some experiments, and a reaction I saw online between Al and the CuCl2 without the HCl.
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
.The balanced chemical equation for the etching of aluminum with copper(II) chloride is:2 Al + 3 CuCl2 + 6 HCl → 3 Cu + 2 AlCl3 + 6 H2O

What is the reaction between CuCl2 and HCl with solid Al?

The reaction between CuCl2 and HCl with solid Al is a single displacement reaction, where aluminum (Al) replaces the copper (Cu) in CuCl2 to form aluminum chloride (AlCl3) and copper metal. This reaction is also known as a redox reaction, as there is a transfer of electrons between the reactants.

What are the products of the reaction between CuCl2 and HCl with solid Al?

The products of this reaction are aluminum chloride (AlCl3) and copper metal (Cu). The aluminum chloride is a white, crystalline solid, while the copper metal is a reddish-brown solid. The reaction also produces hydrogen gas (H2) as a byproduct.

What is the role of HCl in the reaction between CuCl2 and solid Al?

HCl acts as a catalyst in this reaction, helping to speed up the reaction by providing a medium for the transfer of electrons between the reactants. It also helps to dissolve the aluminum oxide layer on the surface of the aluminum, allowing the reaction to occur more easily.

What is the molar ratio of CuCl2 to solid Al in this reaction?

The molar ratio of CuCl2 to solid Al in this reaction is 1:1. This means that for every 1 mole of CuCl2, 1 mole of solid Al is needed for the reaction to occur completely. This ratio is important for calculating the amount of reactants needed for a specific amount of product.

What are some potential applications of this reaction?

This reaction has several potential applications, including in the production of copper metal from copper chloride, in the purification of aluminum, and in the synthesis of other compounds containing aluminum or copper. It can also be used in demonstrations or experiments to illustrate redox reactions and displacement reactions.