1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find static friction

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

i've tried

u(mg+fcos(theta)
    u(mg+fsin(theta)
    u(mg+fsin(theta)

they have all been wrong. before i guess using: u(mg-cos(theta) and risking missing more points, can you tell me if it's right and if not, what do i do to solve this problem.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Forces in y direction = gravity, normal force and y component of applied force.
    To calculate static friction you can ignore the x plane (in this example).

The magnitude of normal force is of course the y component of applied force + gravity.

y componenet of applied force = 107sin(theta).

Ffriction = u[mg + 107sin(theta)]

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    yeah i forgot to put the f in the equations that i used. i used it and still got it wrong... ahh

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4
    Could you please show exactly what you did..?

0.67[(21.5)(9.81) + (107)(sin(35))] ?

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    that is what i used but i found the answer. its 88.707 N

apparently u just do fcos(theta)

107cos34... i dont get it but im read over some notes on what exactly force of static friction is...

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6
    Interesting, if the question is posing that the gravitational force down is cancelling out its equal and opposite component in the positive y direction, that would mean that if the applied force was horizontal, then there would be no static friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?