Understanding Point Charges Along a Uniformly Charged Line

• Thread starter tripsynth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the electric field intensity at a point along a uniformly charged line and the concept of r/R which is equivalent to the cosine of the angle. The speaker clarifies that the focus is on the influence of the entire line charge on a given point and explains how the components of the field contribute to the overall intensity.
tripsynth
Hi, I'm trying to understand point charges along a uniformly charged line with a charge per unit length. This is a screenshot of what I'm trying to understand. http://i.imgur.com/s1vX7.jpg

I am not sure where the term r/R is coming from. I realize that the r term in sigma*dx/4pi*enot should change as you go down the x-axis but I don't get where the factor r/R comes from. I feel like I'm missing something. This is an example page from the book "Electromagnetism" by John C. Slater and Nathaniel Frank.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are only considering the component of the field perpendicular to the line of charge (the parallel component will add to zero for an infinite line of charge). r/R is equivalent to the cosine of the angle.

No, you are not trying to "understand point charges along a uniformly charged line"...you are trying to "understand the electric field intensity at point P which is at a distance r from a charge line".

You see, you are trying to determine the influence of the entire line charge (which is discretized in a bunch of little dx's) on a given point P.

If the x-axis is vertical and the y-axis is horizonatl and the charge line pretty much lies on the x-axis and the point P is at a coordinate (x,y)=(0,r)

The field intensity at P due to a given dx (x not equal 0) will be along the line the joins that dx and the P point, and hence, it can be thought of having two components, one parallel to the x-axis and one parallel to the y-axis...since the charge line is infinite long, the point P "sees" the same thing above it (x>0) as below it (x<0) and hence all the x-components of the field at P cancel out and all the y-components add up.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical concept used in physics to represent a single, isolated charge with no physical dimensions. It is often used to simplify calculations involving electric fields and forces.

2. What is a uniformly charged line?

A uniformly charged line is a line with a constant charge density, meaning that the amount of charge per unit length is the same at every point along the line. This type of distribution is often used to model charged wires or rods.

3. How do point charges interact along a uniformly charged line?

Point charges along a uniformly charged line interact with each other through electric forces. The magnitude of the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How do I calculate the electric field at a point along a uniformly charged line?

To calculate the electric field at a point along a uniformly charged line, you can use the formula E = (kQx)/r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the line, x is the distance from the point to the line, and r is the distance between the point and the charge on the line.

5. How does the electric field vary along a uniformly charged line?

The electric field along a uniformly charged line varies in magnitude and direction. It is strongest near the ends of the line and decreases as you move further away. Additionally, the direction of the electric field depends on the sign of the charge on the line and the location of the point relative to the line.