• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Trying to grasp the idea

• Thread starter kmkindig
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Liquid flows through a 4.0 cm diameter pipe at 1.0 m/s. there is a 2.0 cm diameter restriction in the line. What is the liquids velocity in this restriction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that solution is 4.0 m/s but in dont know how to get there. Thank you

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The concept one is concerned with here is continuity. For an incompressible fluid, the mass flow (rate) into a control volume must equal the mass flow (rate) out, otherwise mass would accumulate or decrease in the volume.

The mass flow rate is given by ρVA, where ρ is the fluid density, V is the mean (average) velocity and A is the cross-sectional area.

So we have ρVA(in) = ρVA(out), or ρVA(in) - ρVA(out) = 0, i.e. no net gain or loss of fluid (mass).

Now if ρ(in) = ρ(out), then the continuity equation becomes, V(in)A(in) = V(out)A(out).

Try apply this to given problem.

fluidistic
Gold Member

Liquid flows through a 4.0 cm diameter pipe at 1.0 m/s. there is a 2.0 cm diameter restriction in the line. What is the liquids velocity in this restriction?

I know the answer is 4.0 m/s but I am not for sure how to get there. A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
There is a principle that states Av=constant, where A is the area of the fluid's path at a given time and v is the velocity.
Hence the answer is not 4.0 m/s, unless I'm wrong.