1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to grasp the idea

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Liquid flows through a 4.0 cm diameter pipe at 1.0 m/s. there is a 2.0 cm diameter restriction in the line. What is the liquids velocity in this restriction?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that solution is 4.0 m/s but in dont know how to get there. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The concept one is concerned with here is continuity. For an incompressible fluid, the mass flow (rate) into a control volume must equal the mass flow (rate) out, otherwise mass would accumulate or decrease in the volume.

The mass flow rate is given by ρVA, where ρ is the fluid density, V is the mean (average) velocity and A is the cross-sectional area.

So we have ρVA(in) = ρVA(out), or ρVA(in) - ρVA(out) = 0, i.e. no net gain or loss of fluid (mass).

Now if ρ(in) = ρ(out), then the continuity equation becomes, V(in)A(in) = V(out)A(out).

Try apply this to given problem.

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Re: Trying to grasp the idea of velocity!

There is a principle that states Av=constant, where A is the area of the fluid's path at a given time and v is the velocity.
    Hence the answer is not 4.0 m/s, unless I'm wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook