Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to ID RFID/RFIC devices

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    Hi All,
    I'm new to RFID/RFIC and I downloaded an reader app to my phone and identified a device with a manufacturer that I couldn't find anywhere online with a 6 pair hexadecimal number. Can anyone tell me what each pair represents?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How is your phone pinging the RFID device? Unless it's some Bluetooth device, I don't know how it can ping it.

Also, what research have you done so far into RFID and any standards that are in use? :smile:

4. Jul 11, 2016 #3
    The app states that it uses a bluetooth connection. I'm interested in both RFID and RFIC. For what I understand, RFID is used for tracking and identification. RFIC is used for telemetry and the such. That's really what I'm interested in. Firstly, identifying a device: i.e.. manufacturer, use, origin, application, format and so on would help greatly. I've been searching the net to try to locate how to decode the number and am hitting a wall. I did find an image on Google, unfortunately, I can't trace where I saw it. Again, simple question: What do the six pairs of hexadecimal numbers represent?

5. Jul 11, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you really retrieved the code, there is probably nothing to decide. It could be a hash tag used as an index to look up a database record. It doesn't make sense to encode the actual information into a RFID chip.

6. Jul 11, 2016 #5
    Any information on this device would be helpful. What do the pairs represent?

7. Jul 12, 2016 #6
    Your request is not very clear, I can only assume you are refering to the MAC address, which is the unique identifier of the device.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address.
    When describing bluetooth, it is not (at least in my experience) referred to as RFID, RFID is something totally different.

8. Jul 12, 2016 #7
    Yes, thank you for your reply. I'm a bit familiar with RFID and RFIC. I was simply stating the binging mechanism used by the app, Bluetooth. Thanks, it is the MAC address and I was able to locate the manufacture and address.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted