Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to improve heat flow through a rod by changing its shape.

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I have a mostly theoretical question here. I have a copper rod approximately 2cm in diameter and 3cm tall. It is fit snugly inside a much taller cylinder. Heat enters through the base of the copper rod and exits through the sides into the tall cylinder. I need to improve conduction through the rod without changing its mass.

My idea was to hollow out the rod to allow it to be taller. This would increase the contact area with the tall cylinder.

What equations might I use to model this situation? Usually equations relating to conduction through a cylinder assume heat flux is parallel to the walls. My situation seems more complicated, some heat comes in at 90 degrees from the direction heat exits.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted