Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics

• Thread starter yarons
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is interested in deepening their knowledge on astronomy and astrophysics but has not had the time to do so. They are seeking advice on how to start and are willing to specialize in a specific subject. They are recommended to check out books on physics and astronomy at their local library, with specific suggestions being Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne, A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking, and Alpha and Omega. They are also advised not to waste time reading all books on the subject and instead focus on high-quality resources.
yarons
Hello all,

I am not sure this is the right forum for my question so apologies if it isn't.

Since I took a couple of physics courses in university (software engineering) I found myself drawn to the subject (mainly astronomy and astrophysics). Due to lack of time (you got to earn a living, right?) I couldn't really deepen my knowledge on the subject. Things have improved lately and I really want to take this seriously.
Was wondering if anyone from this forum could be so kind as to advise me of the best way to start. Maybe some beginners books?
I remember quite a bit from my time at Uni and my Math isn't that bad, though I'm not sure what is the required level.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'll help you:

You have to select first what you are going to specialize in actually, before you start. You might require some background knowledge on such subjects.

I suggest that you go to your neighborhood library and check the physics section for good books. My favorite books are below:

Black Holes and Time Warps by Kip S. Thorne
A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Alpha and Omega

There are countless books on astronomy, and not all of them are good, so don't just waste your time reading all of the books you see and memorizing tables.

Hi there, it's great to hear that you have a strong interest in astronomy and astrophysics! This is definitely the right forum for your question, as there are many knowledgeable and passionate individuals here who can offer advice and resources to help you get started.

As for where to begin, there are a few things you can do. First, I would recommend checking out some introductory books on astronomy and astrophysics. Some popular titles include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. These books will give you a broad overview of the subject and help you understand the basics.

Additionally, you can also look into online courses or lectures from reputable institutions such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy. These resources are often free and can provide a structured learning experience.

In terms of math, a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry is usually enough to get started in astronomy and astrophysics. However, if you want to dive deeper into the subject, knowledge of calculus and differential equations will be beneficial.

Lastly, don't forget to join online communities or local astronomy clubs where you can connect with others who share your interest and learn from their experiences. Good luck on your journey into the fascinating world of astronomy and astrophysics!

1. What is "Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics"?

"Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics" is a comprehensive program that aims to introduce individuals to the exciting fields of astronomy and astrophysics. It consists of various resources such as educational videos, articles, and activities designed to educate and engage people of all ages in these fascinating subjects.

2. Who is this program designed for?

This program is designed for anyone with an interest in astronomy and astrophysics, regardless of age or background. It is especially beneficial for students, educators, and those looking to explore the wonders of our universe.

3. What topics are covered in "Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics"?

The program covers a wide range of topics, including the history of astronomy, the solar system, stars and galaxies, the Big Bang Theory, and more. It also delves into the latest advancements and discoveries in the field of astrophysics.

4. Are there any costs associated with this program?

No, "Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics" is completely free to access and use. It is a non-profit program aimed at promoting scientific education and curiosity.

5. How can I get involved with "Start Exploring Astronomy & Astrophysics"?

There are various ways to get involved with the program, such as watching the educational videos, reading the articles, and participating in the suggested activities. Additionally, you can share the program with others and join the community on social media to stay updated on new content and engage with fellow astronomy and astrophysics enthusiasts.