1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to narrow down career interests: SPACE

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm interested in engineering as a career that I would pursue for at least 30 years, but I'm currently undecided about which form of engineering would be the most enjoyable and fulfilling for me to study.

My considerations include:
    * Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering (if I chose this I will go to Mississippi State University which offers a doctorate in Aeronautical Engineering "Philosophy")
    * Polymer engineering
    * Mechanical engineering (currently taking undergrad pre-reqs, 2nd semester Freshman at Junior College)
    * Boimedical Engineering (the thing about B.E. is that I'm not sure if I want to take all the human biology/chemistry stuff)

The most important things to me about my chosen career is that I am able to understand and possibly apply the latest research and knowledge about many of the big science fields in my job. I am very interested in space and space travel. I think it would be very, very fun to make it possible to populate other planets and have huge "Star Wars-like" worlds. I understand that, if it happens, is many many years into the future, but I definitely think that would be fun.

I am also a competitive martial artist and I intend to compete in national and international competitions throughout my college career. I would involve 1-2 weekends of each month devoted to traveling to and from and competing in the event as well as a few hours each day (maybe 2.5 to as many as I could manage). Do you think this is possible with any of the above careers college class load? I'm a hard working guy and I've been making straight A's except for chemistry (I and II), which I'm not ashamed of because college chem was my first chem class ever LOL.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted