Proving Inequalities: Tips and Strategies for Success

• Thread starter Kernul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: Yes, I would start by writing "Let ##a\leq b##. Then ##a+c\leq a+c## by definition of ##\leq##." Then I would add ##c## to both sides and use the associative law to get ##a+c\leq b+c##. That shows me that ##a+c\leq b+c## whenever ##a\leq b##. I would then prove the cases ##a=b## and ##a>b## separately.
Kernul

Homework Statement

Prove the following facts about inequalities. [In each problem you will have to consider several
cases separately, e.g. ##a > 0## and ##a = 0##.]
(a) If ##a \leq b##, then ##a + c \leq b + c##.
(b) If ##a \geq b##, then ##a + c \geq b + c##.
(c) If ##a \leq b## and ##c \geq 0##, then ##ac \leq bc##.
(d) If ##a \leq b## and ##c \leq 0##, then ##ac \geq bc##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've tried to prove the first one (the second is basically the first one but with inequalities inverted) the following way:
If ##a > 0, b > 0## or ##a < 0, b < 0## (do I really have to say that ##b> 0## too?)
##a \leq b \implies a + c \leq b + c##
##a + (c + (-c)) \leq b + (c + (-c))##
##(a + c) + (-c) \leq (b + c) + (-c)##
##a + c \leq b + c##
If ##a = 0, b > 0##
##0 \leq b \implies c \leq b + c##
##(c + (-c)) \leq b + (c + (-c))##
##c + (-c) \leq (b + c) + (-c)##
##c \leq b + c##
So it's proved, right?
Now, going to (c), we have this ##c \geq 0## that stops me from using ##c^{-1}## to prove them because it's not ##c > 0##.
Which other way can I prove the last two?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice the inequalities were wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kernul said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following facts about inequalities. [In each problem you will have to consider several
cases separately, e.g. ##a > 0## and ##a = 0##.]
(a) If ##a <= b##, then ##a + c <= b + c##.
(b) If ##a >= b##, then ##a + c >= b + c##.
(c) If ##a <= b## and ##c >= 0##, then ##ac <= bc##.
(d) If ##a <= b## and ##c <= 0##, then ##ac >= bc##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've tried to prove the first one (the second is basically the first one but with inequalities inverted) the following way:
If ##a > 0, b > 0## or ##a < 0, b < 0## (do I really have to say that ##b> 0## too?)
##a <= b \implies a + c <= b + c##
##a + (c + (-c)) <= b + (c + (-c))##
##(a + c) + (-c) <= (b + c) + (-c)##
##a + c <= b + c##
If ##a = 0, b > 0##
##0 <= b \implies c <= b + c##
##(c + (-c)) <= b + (c + (-c))##
##c + (-c) <= (b + c) + (-c)##
##c <= b + c##
So it's proved, right?
Now, going to (c), we have this ##c >= 0## that stops me from using ##c^{-1}## to prove them because it's not ##c > 0##.
Which other way can I prove the last two?

Looking at several cases for each part is a waste of time; in every part there is no need at all for "cases". Just use an appropriate definition of "≤" or "≥".

Ray Vickson said:
Looking at several cases for each part is a waste of time; in every part there is no need at all for "cases". Just use an appropriate definition of "≤" or "≥".
An appropriate definition of ##\leq## and ##\geq##? Wouldn't that be:
##a \leq b## means ##a < b## or ## a = b##
##a \geq b## means ##a > b## or ## a = b##

Kernul said:
An appropriate definition of ##\leq## and ##\geq##? Wouldn't that be:
##a \leq b## means ##a < b## or ## a = b##
##a \geq b## means ##a > b## or ## a = b##

What does ##a < b## mean? What is a very simple way to test if ##a < b##?

Anyway, I did not claim that what you are doing is wrong; I am just saying it is not the fastest way.

To deal with your original question: in your argument you started with ##a \leq b##, then got ##(a+c) + (-c) \leq (b+c) + (-c)##, then canceled the "##(-c)##' on both sides to end up with ##a+c \leq b+c##. However, that last step is invalid: it basically assumes what you are trying to prove, because if you set ##A = a+c## and ##B = b+c## you are going from ##A -c \leq B-c ## to ##A \leq B##---but you have not proved that yet.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
##a < b## means that ##a## is a number smaller than ##b##.
To see if ##b - a## is still a positive number? If it's negative it means that actually ##a > b##.

Kernul said:
##a < b## means that ##a## is a number smaller than ##b##.
To see if ##b - a## is still a positive number? If it's negative it means that actually ##a > b##.

Now you are getting it (in your second sentence above).

Ray Vickson said:

Anyway, I did not claim that what you are doing is wrong; I am just saying it is not the fastest way.

To deal with your original question: in your argument you started with ##a \leq b##, then got ##(a+c) + (-c) \leq (b+c) + (-c)##, then canceled the "##(-c)##' on both sides to end up with ##a+c \leq b+c##. However, that last step is invalid: it basically assumes what you are trying to prove, because if you set ##A = a+c## and ##B = b+c## you are going from ##A -c \leq B-c ## to ##A \leq B##---but you have not proved that yet.
Oh right. I can't think of any way to proceed from that part right now.

Ray Vickson said:
Now you are getting it (in your second sentence above).
So I should simply see if ##(b + c) - (a + c) > 0##?

Kernul said:
Oh right. I can't think of any way to proceed from that part right now.So I should simply see if ##(b + c) - (a + c) > 0##?

That is the way I would do it (although I would use "##\geq##" instead of "##>##").

Ray Vickson said:
That is the way I would do it (although I would use "##\geq##" instead of "##>##").
Oh yes.
Doing like that I would end up with ##b + c - a - c \geq 0## and so ##b - a \geq 0##. But does this really prove what I was trying to prove? Isn't this the opposite way since I started directly with ##a + c \leq b + c##, which was what I had to end up while proving?

Kernul said:
Oh yes.
Doing like that I would end up with ##b + c - a - c \geq 0## and so ##b - a \geq 0##. But does this really prove what I was trying to prove? Isn't this the opposite way since I started directly with ##a + c \leq b + c##, which was what I had to end up while proving?

No: you assume ##a \leq b##, which means that ##b-a \geq 0##. However, ##(b+c) - (a+c) = b-a,## so we have ##(b+c) -(a+c) \geq 0##, which means (by definition) that ##b+c \geq a+c##. No circular arguments are involved; just elementary algebra.

Likes Kernul
Ray Vickson said:
No: you assume ##a \leq b##, which means that ##b-a \geq 0##. However, ##(b+c) - (a+c) = b-a,## so we have ##(b+c) -(a+c) \geq 0##, which means (by definition) that ##b+c \geq a+c##. No circular arguments are involved; just elementary algebra.
Oh, now I get it.
Thank you very much.

1. How do you define inequality in scientific research?

Inequality in scientific research refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and outcomes among different groups of people based on factors such as race, gender, socioeconomic status, and geographic location.

2. What methods can be used to measure and analyze inequality in scientific research?

There are various statistical methods that can be used to measure and analyze inequality in scientific research, such as regression analysis, t-tests, and ANOVA. Qualitative research methods, such as interviews and focus groups, can also provide valuable insights into the experiences and perspectives of marginalized groups.

3. How do you control for confounding variables when studying inequality?

To control for confounding variables, researchers can use techniques such as randomization and matching to ensure that the groups being compared are similar in all aspects except for the variable being studied. Researchers can also use statistical methods, such as regression analysis, to control for the effects of confounding variables.

4. What are some ethical considerations when studying inequality in scientific research?

When studying inequality, it is important for researchers to consider the potential harm that their research may cause to marginalized groups. This includes ensuring informed consent, maintaining confidentiality, and minimizing any potential risks to participants. Researchers should also strive to involve members of marginalized groups in the research process and consider their perspectives and experiences.

5. How can research on inequality be used to promote social justice?

Research on inequality can be used to raise awareness and understanding of the issues faced by marginalized groups. By providing evidence of disparities and barriers to equality, research can inform policy and advocacy efforts aimed at promoting social justice. Additionally, research can help identify effective interventions and strategies to address inequality and promote equity.