1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to prove something

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to the follow the work shown in the textbook, but getting a little confused.

Theorem I. Suppose the function f(x,y) is defined in some neighborhood of the of the point (a,b). Suppose one of the partial derivatives, say, ∂f/∂x, exists at each point of the neighborhood and is continuous at (a,b), while the other partial derivative is defined at least at the point (a,b). Then f is differentiable at (a,b).

The first thing the book does is write down

f(a+h, b+k) - f(a,b) = f(a+h, b+k) - f(a, b+k) + f(a, b+k) - f(a,b).

Okay. So far, so good.

Now, the part I put in red looks like the [f(a,b+k)-f(a,b)]/k, the partial derivative of f with respect to y at (a,b) when k approaches zero. But since k is just k, we can write this as

f(a+h, b+k) - f(a, b+k) = k ∂f/∂y|(a,b) + Ω1k, where Ω1 approaches zero as k approaches 0.

The part I put in blue, I suppose, could similarly be rewritten as h ∂f/∂x|(a,b+k) + hΩ2. Instead the book uses the mean value theorem as such:

f(a+h, b+k) - f(a, b+k) = h ∂f/∂x|(a+øh, b+k), where 0<ø<1.

Because ∂f/∂x is assumed to be continuous at (a,b), we can write

∂f/∂x|(a+øh, b+k) = ∂f/∂x|(a,b) + Ω2, where Ω2 --> 0 as k --> 0 and h --> 0.

The part in green is what I do not understand. Please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    That's just what it means for the partial derivative to be continuous at (a,b). Since ∂f/∂x|(a+øh, b+k) -> ∂f/∂x|(a,b) as h -> 0 and k -> 0, we can for example define Ω2 to be the difference ∂f/∂x|(a+øh, b+k) - ∂f/∂x|(a,b) and see that Ω2 -> 0 when h -> 0 and k -> 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook