Struggling to Refresh My Physics Knowledge: Any Helpful Resources?

• Thread starter Pepys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, PepysPepys is looking for advice on how to re-learn physics and is considering the MIT OpenCourseWare and the Physics Forums.
Pepys
Hello,
as I said in the title, I'm trying to re-learn physics. I say re-learn because last year when I finished high-school, I Obtained the Bac S OIB, a French diploma. The Bac S (aka Scientific Baccalauréat) has a fair number of subjects including: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology and Geology. But the Bac S OIB ads English Literature, History and Geography. The rhythm was very difficult to keep up with, and the few people of my class who were able to excel in all 12 subjects have earned my undying respect. They also spent every waking hour working; hard work pays off I guess.
I on the other hand saw my education suffer, and during the last year I had to 'abandon' a few subjects to focus on others. Regrettably, physics was abandoned, and I barely got a pass in Maths. The problem is, Physics is one of my favorite subjects, and it annoys my that I didn't do better.

So now that I'm at Uni, and that the work load is comparatively inexistent, I have all the time I want to go over this subject. Though I can't really contribute to the content of the forum, I'm hoping that you could point me towards good resources such as online books, or if some one has typed/scanned their high-school physics notes and is willing to share I'd be very grateful.

I realize 're-learning physics' rather vague, but what I'm trying to say is that I'm lacking the tools to fully understand what I've learnt; I think I understand the concepts, the basic idea, but I lack the formulas, the vocabulary and the rules. For example, in the final exams, I understood the questions (to the extent that my vocabulary allowed it) but was unable to answer.
Any help, pointer, or advice would be great.

Pepys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pepys, Welcome to Physics Forums!

In a post just above yours called "Where do I begin?" one member named kjamha suggested this site for learning basic physics. I visited the site and think it is an excellent place for you to get the kind of review you want.

See: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/

The http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/ on MIT's OpenCourseWare are good, too. You can also take a look at the content on our own forums here.

1. Can anyone learn physics, even if they have no prior knowledge?

Yes, anyone can learn physics! While having a strong foundation in math and science can be helpful, it is not necessary. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand the concepts of physics.

2. How long does it take to re-learn physics?

The amount of time it takes to re-learn physics can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and dedication to studying. It could take a few months to a year to fully re-learn physics, but everyone learns at their own pace.

3. Is it necessary to use textbooks or can I learn through online resources?

Using textbooks can be helpful, but there are also plenty of online resources available for learning physics. Websites like Khan Academy and online lectures from universities can be great resources for re-learning physics.

4. What are some tips for re-learning physics effectively?

Some tips for re-learning physics effectively include setting aside dedicated study time, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and practicing problems to reinforce understanding.

5. How can I stay motivated while re-learning physics?

One way to stay motivated while re-learning physics is to set achievable goals and track your progress. Another way is to find a study group or tutor to work with and keep each other accountable. Additionally, try to find real-world applications of the concepts you are learning to make the material more interesting and relevant.