1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to self-study rudin

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    I am trying to self-study Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. It worked well for the first 7-8 chapters since there were tons of resources online that gave suggested homework problems, solutions, and hints but now I have reached chapter 9 and the only course website I can find that actually covers those chapters is this one: http://vorpal.math.drexel.edu/course/ia2/index.xhtml
    There they just give suggested problems but no solutions or hints, so sometimes I have a proof but I am really not sure if it is correct. Does anyone know of another course website that covers chapter 9,10,11 of Rudin? Also, can you give me some suggested problems? I used to just pick problems at random to do but that was a horrible idea since some of the problems are kind of "open-ended" or just really really hard and not really suitable for self-study.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

what are the topics of those chapters?

doesn't rudin have a zillion problems?

you should know yourself by now if your solutions are correct or not. but we could look at some of them for you.

ok i found whats in chapters 9,10,11.

if you want my advice, read spivak's calculus on manifolds instead of rudin's chapters 9 and 10.

i think spivak does a MUCH better job on those topics. rudin might be ok for chapter 11, but it is still only a bare minimum intro to the topic.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?