Is There a Resource for Rudin's Later Chapters Beyond Drexel's Website?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, the speaker is self-studying Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and has found resources online for the first 7-8 chapters but is struggling to find resources for chapters 9-11. They are looking for suggested problems and are unsure if their proofs are correct. They also mention the possibility of reading Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds instead of Rudin's chapters 9 and 10.
ehrenfest
I am trying to self-study Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. It worked well for the first 7-8 chapters since there were tons of resources online that gave suggested homework problems, solutions, and hints but now I have reached chapter 9 and the only course website I can find that actually covers those chapters is this one: http://vorpal.math.drexel.edu/course/ia2/index.xhtml
There they just give suggested problems but no solutions or hints, so sometimes I have a proof but I am really not sure if it is correct. Does anyone know of another course website that covers chapter 9,10,11 of Rudin? Also, can you give me some suggested problems? I used to just pick problems at random to do but that was a horrible idea since some of the problems are kind of "open-ended" or just really really hard and not really suitable for self-study.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what are the topics of those chapters?

doesn't rudin have a zillion problems?

you should know yourself by now if your solutions are correct or not. but we could look at some of them for you.ok i found what's in chapters 9,10,11.

if you want my advice, read spivak's calculus on manifolds instead of rudin's chapters 9 and 10.

i think spivak does a MUCH better job on those topics. rudin might be ok for chapter 11, but it is still only a bare minimum intro to the topic.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of self-study in mastering complex subjects like mathematical analysis. It appears that you have made great progress in your self-study of Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, and I commend you for seeking out additional resources to aid in your understanding.

Chapter 9 can indeed be challenging, and it is not surprising that there are fewer readily available resources for it compared to earlier chapters. However, I would suggest exploring other universities' course websites, as they may have different approaches and problem sets for these chapters. Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to professors or graduate students in mathematics departments for guidance and advice.

In terms of suggested problems, I would recommend focusing on the problems that relate to the main theorems and concepts covered in the chapter. These will likely be the most important for understanding the material and will also help you assess your understanding of the material. You may also want to consider working through the examples and exercises in the text itself, as they are designed to reinforce key concepts and techniques.

Overall, self-study can be a challenging but rewarding process, and I encourage you to continue seeking out resources and support to aid in your learning. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is "Trying to self-study Rudin"?

"Trying to self-study Rudin" refers to the act of independently studying the textbook "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. This textbook is commonly used in university-level mathematics courses and is known for its rigorous approach to mathematical analysis.

2. Is it possible to self-study Rudin without any prior mathematical background?

It is not recommended to self-study Rudin without a solid foundation in mathematics, specifically in calculus and linear algebra. This textbook assumes a certain level of mathematical maturity and may be difficult to understand without prior knowledge of these subjects.

3. How can I approach self-studying Rudin effectively?

It is important to have a disciplined and organized approach when self-studying Rudin. This may include setting a schedule, working through the exercises, seeking clarification from online resources or a tutor, and regularly reviewing previous material.

4. What are the benefits of self-studying Rudin?

Self-studying Rudin can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to work through problems independently. It also demonstrates self-motivation and dedication, which can be valuable skills in any field.

5. Are there any resources available to supplement my self-study of Rudin?

Yes, there are various online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and discussion forums that can aid in your self-study of Rudin. Additionally, seeking guidance from a math professor or tutor can be beneficial in clarifying any difficult concepts.