Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to self-study rudin

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    I am trying to self-study Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. It worked well for the first 7-8 chapters since there were tons of resources online that gave suggested homework problems, solutions, and hints but now I have reached chapter 9 and the only course website I can find that actually covers those chapters is this one: http://vorpal.math.drexel.edu/course/ia2/index.xhtml
    There they just give suggested problems but no solutions or hints, so sometimes I have a proof but I am really not sure if it is correct. Does anyone know of another course website that covers chapter 9,10,11 of Rudin? Also, can you give me some suggested problems? I used to just pick problems at random to do but that was a horrible idea since some of the problems are kind of "open-ended" or just really really hard and not really suitable for self-study.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what are the topics of those chapters?

doesn't rudin have a zillion problems?

you should know yourself by now if your solutions are correct or not. but we could look at some of them for you.

ok i found whats in chapters 9,10,11.

if you want my advice, read spivak's calculus on manifolds instead of rudin's chapters 9 and 10.

i think spivak does a MUCH better job on those topics. rudin might be ok for chapter 11, but it is still only a bare minimum intro to the topic.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook