Trying to show a set is a field

• Thread starter Zoe-b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Set
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the given set over the rationals is a field. It is mentioned that the span is closed under multiplication and addition, and each basis element has an inverse in the span. To show that every element in the span has an inverse, the fact that the rational numbers are a field is used, as well as the closure of the span under multiplication and addition.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

I'm doing a question where part of it is to show that the span of the following set over the rationals is a field.
If w is the primitive cube root of unity and z is the positive cube root of 2, the set in question is:

(1,z,z2,w, wz, wz2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown this span is closed under multiplication. Almost by definition it is closed under addition/subtraction. I have also shown that each basis element has an inverse in the span. However, when I come to then showing that every element has an inverse, I struggle.. a general element is obviously a linear combination of 6 elements and I can't exactly rationalise the denominator. Any hints at all?

Thanks,
Zoe

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Zoe,

To show that every element in the span has an inverse, you can use the fact that the rational numbers are a field. This means that every non-zero rational number has an inverse in the field. So, for any element in the span that is a non-zero rational number, its inverse will also be in the span.

For elements that are not rational numbers, you can use the fact that the span is closed under multiplication and addition to manipulate the expression and show that it can be written as a rational number multiplied by an element in the span. This will then show that the element has an inverse in the span.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your question!

What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and operations, typically addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules and properties.

What are the properties of a field?

The properties of a field include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity elements, inverse elements, and distributivity.

How do you show that a set is a field?

To show that a set is a field, you need to demonstrate that it satisfies all of the properties of a field. This includes showing that the set is closed under addition and multiplication, has identity and inverse elements for both operations, and follows the rules of associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

What are some examples of fields?

Examples of fields include the set of real numbers, the set of complex numbers, and the set of rational numbers. Other examples include the set of polynomials with real coefficients and the set of matrices with real entries.

Why is it important to show that a set is a field?

Showing that a set is a field is important because it allows us to perform mathematical operations on the elements of the set with confidence that the results will follow the rules and properties of a field. This is useful in a wide range of mathematical and scientific applications.