Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to simulate gas

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to simulate different expansions and processes in gas and I have 3 questions:

If the average distance, that a molecule goes without hitting another one is [itex]l[/itex] (by the way, could you please tell me what this distance is called in english?) and [itex]x[/itex] is the distance it's already passed without hitting another molecule, is the probability, that it hits a molecule at the current distance [itex](\frac{1}{2})^{x/l}[/itex]? (taken from the assumtion, that it passes the distance [itex]l[/itex] with a 50% probability)

Is it useful (/common practice) to distribute the velocities of the molecules correspondently with the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution or can I just give every molecule the same, average speed?

How do I proceed with the collision of two molecules? From what I've heard I want to calculate the probability that it hits another one, get a random number from 0 to 1 and find out if it hit something. But what next? How do I choose the molecule that it has hit?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

Hepth

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook