Trying to understand electric and magnetic fields as 4-vectors

In summary, the field transformation equations do hold when considering electric and magnetic fields as 4-vectors. To start off, I obtained the temporal and spatial components of ##E^{\alpha}## and ##B^{\alpha}##. The expressions are obtained from the following equations:$$E^{\alpha}=F^{\alpha\beta}U_{\beta},\: B^{\alpha}=\frac{1}{2c}\epsilon^{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}F_{\beta\mu}U_{\nu}$$I obtained:\begin{align*}E^{0}&=F^{00}U_{0
user1139
Homework Statement
Assuming that the first pair of equations given below are correct, how do I show that the electric and magnetic fields obtained transform correctly under general Lorentz boost?
Relevant Equations
The relevant equations are provided below.
I was trying to show that the field transformation equations do hold when considering electric and magnetic fields as 4-vectors. To start off, I obtained the temporal and spatial components of ##E^{\alpha}## and ##B^{\alpha}##. The expressions are obtained from the following equations:

$$E^{\alpha}=F^{\alpha\beta}U_{\beta},\: B^{\alpha}=\frac{1}{2c}\epsilon^{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}F_{\beta\mu}U_{\nu}$$

I obtained:
\begin{align*}
E^{0}&=F^{00}U_{0}+F^{0i}U_{i}=\frac{\gamma(u)}{c}\left(\vec{E}\cdot\vec{u}\right)\\
E^{i}&=F^{i0}U_{0}+F^{ij}U_{j}=\gamma(u)\left[\vec{E}+\left(\vec{u}\times\vec{B}\right)\right]^{i}\\
B^{0}&=\frac{1}{2c}\epsilon^{0\beta\mu\nu}F_{\beta\mu}U_{\nu}=-\frac{\gamma(u)}{c}\left(\vec{B}\cdot\vec{u}\right)\\
B^{i}&=\frac{1}{2c}\epsilon^{i\beta\mu 0}F_{\beta\mu}U_{0}+\frac{1}{2c}\epsilon^{i\beta\mu j}F^{\beta\mu}U_{j}=\gamma(u)\left[\vec{B}-\frac{\vec{u}}{c^2}\times\vec{E}\right]^{i}
\end{align*}

I interpreted the above components as that of fields observed by a stationary observer. To show that the fields transform correctly I have to show that:
$$\vec E' = \gamma \left( \vec E + c\vec \beta \times \vec B\right) - \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma +1} \vec \beta \left( \vec\beta \cdot \vec E \right )$$
$$\vec B' = \gamma \left( \vec B - \frac{\vec \beta}{c} \times \vec E\right) - \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma +1} \vec \beta \left( \vec\beta \cdot \vec B \right )$$

i.e. I have to show that I am able to construct the RHS from the components I have found. However, I do not seem to be able to show that using the Lorentz transformation equations under general boost. The Lorentz transformation equations under general boost is given as:
$$A^{'0}=\gamma\left(A^0-\vec{\beta}\cdot\vec{A}\right)$$
$$\vec{A}'_{\parallel}=\gamma\left(\vec{A}_{\parallel}-\vec{\beta}A^0\right)$$
$$\vec{A}'_{\perp}=\vec{A}_{\perp}$$

How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula without ##\gamma^2## terms seem correct Lorentz transformation. How do you estimate these terms necessary ?

What do you mean?

\vE¯∥=\vE∥,\vE¯⊥=γ(\vE⊥+\vv×\vB⊥)I am sorry to say my post #1 was wrong.

Electric fields and magnetic fields from electromagnetic tensor comes from
[tex]E_{i}=cF_{0i},\ B_i=-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{ijk}F^{jk}[/tex]

I wonder whether it is same as your formula in post #1 and what are ##E^0## and ##B^0##?

1. What are 4-vectors in relation to electric and magnetic fields?

4-vectors are mathematical quantities that represent both the magnitude and direction of an electric or magnetic field. They are used in the study of electromagnetism to describe the behavior of these fields in space and time.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact as 4-vectors?

Electric and magnetic fields interact through a set of equations known as Maxwell's equations, which are based on the principles of 4-vectors. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they change over time.

3. Can 4-vectors be used to visualize electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, 4-vectors can be used to visualize electric and magnetic fields through the use of vector diagrams. These diagrams show the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields at different points in space.

4. How do 4-vectors help us understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

4-vectors help us understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields by providing a mathematical framework to describe their interactions and how they change over time. This allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of these fields in various situations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding electric and magnetic fields as 4-vectors?

Yes, understanding electric and magnetic fields as 4-vectors has many real-world applications. It is used in the development of technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and its applications in fields such as telecommunications, power generation, and medical imaging.