Trying to understand how FTL would violate causality....

In summary, an expert physicist explains that, contra popular belief, it is possible to violate causality by traveling faster than the speed of light. This paradoxical situation can be resolved by sending someone to kill your grandfather before he ever realizes you're gone.
timmdeeg said:
Is there a theoretical reason to assume the same propagation velocity of electromagnetic- and gravitational waves?
If you assume that these speeds are invariant, yes - there can be only one invariant speed, so they have to be the same. And there are fairly convincing theoretical reasons to expect both speeds to be invariant.

Last edited:
Likes timmdeeg
Physics news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:
If you assume that these speeds are invariant, yes- there can be only one invariant speed, so they have to be the same.
Yes, in this case.
The similarity is that in both cases oscillating charges and oscillating masses as well are emitting waves which propagate through empty space and can be detected elsewhere. So, naively one could suspect here a connection on a deeper level with the effect that both are either invariant (necessarily the same invariant speed then) or not. I'm not sure if this makes sense.

Nugatory said:
If you assume that these speeds are invariant, yes - there can be only one invariant speed, so they have to be the same. And there are fairly convincing theoretical reasons to expect both speeds to be invariant.
I understand that the speed of gravitational waves drops out of the Einstein field equations, so more or less has to be the invariant speed unless we're chucking GR out of the window. But I thought it was possible to construct massive photons in a coherent way - Proca's work, further developed by Yukawa, I gather (e.g. https://galileospendulum.org/2013/07/26/what-if-photons-actually-have-mass/).

Ibix said:
I understand that the speed of gravitational waves drops out of the Einstein field equations, so more or less has to be the invariant speed unless we're chucking GR out of the window. But I thought it was possible to construct massive photons in a coherent way - Proca's work, further developed by Yukawa, I gather (e.g. https://galileospendulum.org/2013/07/26/what-if-photons-actually-have-mass/).
That's what the hedge about "fairly convincing" was for.

Likes Ibix
timmdeeg said:
Is there a theoretical reason to assume the same propagation velocity of electromagnetic- and gravitational waves?

In classical GR there is a theoretical reason for GW to travel at the invariant speed. This is independent of whether you include EM in the matter energy sector of your GR model.

Last edited:
Likes timmdeeg
PAllen said:
In classical,GR there is a theoretical reason for GW to travel at the invariant speed. This is independent of whether you include EM in the matter energy sector of your GR model.
Okay, thanks.