1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand microfluiditics [sp, microfluidics]

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    Does anybody know what microfluiditics is? I need to research it for an assignment. Help needed

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, sr;
    The field deals with fluid dynamics on microscopic scales, such as capillary action, flow dynamics and whatnot. Inkjet print heads are the first application that comes to mind, but they might be too big to count. There are medical laboratory devices that use it for chemical analysis, separation, etc.. Here's a good basic link to get you started, and it contains further links to help you along. Good luck with it.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might help if you spelled it "fluidics" instead!

Try entering that into Google.com

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adding to what Danger has pointed,

Microfluids are a great field of current research. As we look at smaller scales, new effects such as surface tension, electrostatic forces and brownian motion take more importance. Such microflows have scales of order of micrometers, and very low Reynolds numbers.

Its main application is centered in biomedics, biologics, aerodynamic of small particles, electronics, sprays, electric propulsion, particle detection and so on.

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: A perfect example of how the mind fills in what it expects to see, as in an optical illusion. I didn't even notice the spelling error.

7. Aug 1, 2005 #6
    Hey! That is how I saw it spelled out! Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?