Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand rotating black holes

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    This may be farfetched, but please try to bear with me.

I will try to apply my existing knowledge of fields to understand the spiral motion of bodies falling toward rotating black holes. I do not know enough GR to be able to solve the field equations and will try to approach the phenomenon from another angle and try to predict how objects falling toward such a hole will fall.

What I already know about the falling motion, and will try to explain:
    Bodies in free fall in the proximity of a rotating black hole will spiral into it, now fall in a straight line.

A paper I read about black holes explained this by saying that the BH warps spacetime, it pulls space around with it. I will not touch upon this as it is currently beyond my comprehension of GR.

According to the Maxwell Field Equations (MFE), a moving charge creates a magnetic field. A linear approximation of the MFE for gravity predicts a gravitomagnetic field created by a moving mass. I will assume fallacy in GRs prediction of a singularity at the center of a BH, as is commonly expected from a theory of quantum gravity.

As such, in the black hole there will be a minute distorted sphere of mass rotating at the center, giving rise to a gravitomagnetic field. Note that I do ont expect the gravity analog of the MFE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitomagnetism#Equations" to be accurate in predicting its magnitude here, but I do expect them to predict its direction.

I thereby predict that the gravitomagnetic field lines around the BH act to a degree like the magnetic field around the Earth, but with its poles along the axis of rotation. Thus i do ont expect matter falling in along this axis to be affected by the rotation of the BH. This is the only result of mine that I am confident in.

Because, according to this, matter falling toward the BH perpendicular to the rotational axis would not spiral around the BH, but spiral around its direction of motion. This might give rise to the though that the mass would not spiral around the BH. In order to "save" my hypothesis, I therefore claim, though without having sone the math to back it up, that the gravitational force that pulls the mass in will pull the mass back down, should it try to spiral up (think of clockwise spiraling motion) without canceling its momentum going around the BH, causing the mass to spiral around the BH as predicted by GR.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted