Help My Friend With His Final Year Design Project

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting a 7th order high pass Butterworth filter from lumped elements to microstrip for a final year design project. The individual is stuck at this conversion and is seeking help. They mention the use of shunt inductors and series capacitors, but explain that it is not possible to build a high pass filter with distributed elements. Instead, they suggest using band pass filters with high top ends and recommend looking into the Kuroda transformation and Richards transformation for assistance.
Zanjabeel0
My friend is doing this for his final year design project and has hit a brickwall in terms of understand the actual process. Any help would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Zanjabeel0 said:
My friend is doing this for his final year design project and has hit a brickwall in terms of understand the actual process. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the PF.

Could you provide some context, examples, and a lot more detail for this question please? What do you mean by the term "conversion" in the context of electronic filters?

Likes Zanjabeel0
He designed a 7th order high pass Butterworth filter with lumped elements. He wants to impliment the filter as a microstrip.
He's stuck at the conversion from lumped elements to microstrip. The cut off frequency is 3 Ghz.

It is not possible to build a high pass filter with distributed elements.

However, band pass filters with very high top ends are possible and work for most applications.

Likes Zanjabeel0
Hi,

Well, Highpass filters contain series caps and shunt inductors.

shunt inductors can be replaced by shorted transmission lines.

series capacitors can be replaced by opened transmission lines. (but you can't realize this)

replace all lumped with distributed then use kuroda transformation to convert to a microstrip filter with only shunt and series t-line components.

look up RICHARDS TRANSFORMATION and KURODA IDENTITY (MAYBE YOU CAN FIND AN ONLINE PROGRAM)

(Sorry I don't want to spend more time on this but I'll check again later)

Likes Zanjabeel0

What is a final year design project?

A final year design project is a project that is typically done by students in their final year of a design program. It is a culmination of their education and showcases their skills and knowledge in a specific area of design.

Why is it important to help my friend with their final year design project?

Helping a friend with their final year design project can not only strengthen your friendship, but it can also provide valuable feedback and support during a critical time in their education. It can also give you a better understanding of their skills and interests.

What are some ways I can help my friend with their final year design project?

There are many ways you can help your friend with their final year design project, such as providing feedback and suggestions, helping with research, offering technical support, or even just being a sounding board for their ideas. It's important to communicate with your friend and see what specific help they need.

What if I don't have a background in design, can I still help my friend with their final year design project?

Even if you don't have a background in design, you can still offer valuable support to your friend. Your perspective as an outsider can provide fresh insights and ideas. You can also help with tasks such as research, organization, and proofreading.

What should I do if my friend is struggling with their final year design project?

If your friend is struggling with their final year design project, it's important to offer emotional support and encouragement. You can also suggest seeking help from their professors or classmates, or even hiring a tutor or mentor. Remind your friend that it's okay to ask for help and that their hard work will pay off in the end.