Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand the conversion of lumped element filter to microstrip filter...

1. Jun 30, 2015 #1
    My friend is doing this for his final year design project and has hit a brickwall in terms of understand the actual process. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Could you provide some context, examples, and a lot more detail for this question please? What do you mean by the term "conversion" in the context of electronic filters?

4. Jun 30, 2015 #3
    He designed a 7th order high pass Butterworth filter with lumped elements. He wants to impliment the filter as a microstrip.
    He's stuck at the conversion from lumped elements to microstrip. The cut off frequency is 3 Ghz.

5. Jul 1, 2015 #4
    It is not possible to build a high pass filter with distributed elements.

However, band pass filters with very high top ends are possible and work for most applications.

6. Jul 1, 2015 #5
    Hi,

Well, Highpass filters contain series caps and shunt inductors.

shunt inductors can be replaced by shorted transmission lines.

series capacitors can be replaced by opened transmission lines. (but you can't realize this)

replace all lumped with distributed then use kuroda transformation to convert to a microstrip filter with only shunt and series t-line components.

look up RICHARDS TRANSFORMATION and KURODA IDENTITY (MAYBE YOU CAN FIND AN ONLINE PROGRAM)

(Sorry I don't want to spend more time on this but I'll check again later)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook