Trying to Wire a Washing Machine Motor To Power a Grain Mill

Yes, I'll be using a 4 way switch on the start winding circuit. Since start winding power drops out after the centrifugal switch activates, changing the switch position while motor is running will not have any impact until the next start. May power it up this afternoon and If everything works like expected, I will post a detailed schematic of the setup (based largely on Jim's fantastic work).

Good news! I was successful in starting forward and reverse and running all three speeds. Speeds were about 50 rpm higher than motor rating, but that may be the result of inaccuracies in my meter or power company running a little higher frequncy. Haven't tried depinning low speed wires from motor terminal block and just connecting together, but I'll do that this afternoon. Detailed schematic and photos will follow when I'm confident I have everything spot on.

Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Update. No discernable difference in parameters or operation when bypassing motor terminal block for low speed windings so I returned to original configuration. Look for a schematic before end of week (want to take my hand drawn diagram and recreate in a graphics program at work). Some pics, including hand drawn schematic, attached. Only thing I'm missing is the 15 amp in line fuse, but I have that on order.

Pic 1 is hand drawn diagram. Look for better one later this week.

Attachments

• 20210912_163720.jpg
    20210912_163720.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4
Pic 2 is motor terminal block with all wires connected.

Attachments

• 20210912_153857.jpg
    20210912_153857.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3
Pic 3 is general shot of motor, harness, and switches. 2 way for on/off in single gang box. 4 way and two 3 ways in 3 gang box. 4 way (left) controls fwd or Rev start by switching direction of current flow through start winding. 3 way (center) controls fast or medium/low. 3 way (right) controls medium or low speed. I left harness at original length to give me plenty to work with.
(Just figured out how to add pic directly instead of as attachment)
20210912_163530.jpg

As promised.

Whirlpool 3 speed Reversable Motor.jpg

Attachments

• Whirlpool 3 speed Reversable Motor.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 3