1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to word standing waves

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an expirement when we use microwaves to produce and observe standing waves. There is a transmitter up at A and a receiver at B. There is also a mirror which is parallel to AB and moves in a parallel motion to AB. Due to the design of this, there are 2 paths, one straight from the transmitter to the receiver and one from which reflects off the mirror and into the receiver.

Now I must:

i) Describe what can be seen with the appuratus

ii) Explain the observations you have described in terms of the physics of standing waves

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i) By moving the mirror the intensity at the reliever (B) increases or decreases. The intesity continues to increase and decrease as the mirror is moved further away from AB, however the greatest intensity measured at the receiver shrinks as well as the smallest intesity as the mirror is moved further and further back. SEE I DONT THINK THAT IS VERY WELL EXPLAINED. IM TRYING TO SAY THAT THE AMPLITUDE OF THE PATH2 DECREASES AS THE MIRROR MOVES AWAY FROM AB EFFECTING HOW MUCH PATH2 EFFECTS PATH1 AT THE RECEIVER

any better ideas?

Ill post (iii) when I get this sorted
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?