1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tsampirlis Chapter 1 Inner Product

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

tyfAGOW.jpg

The basis vectors are defined as 1x3 matrices, how can the result be a 3x3 matrix?

How can the result of a dot product be a 3x3 matrix, I'm stumbled, how can I evaluate this?

A inner product returns a scalar, and now it returns a 3x3 matrix, please help.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have 9 dot products.
    You have a term ##g_{\mu\nu}## for all the possible combinations of ##\mu, \ \nu##. That's 3*3.

The 3*3 matrix is :
    ##\begin{pmatrix}
    e_1\cdot e_1 & e_1\cdot e_2 & e_1\cdot e_3\\
    e_2\cdot e_1 & e_2\cdot e_2 & e_2\cdot e_3\\
    e_3\cdot e_1 & e_3\cdot e_2 & e_3\cdot e_3
    \end{pmatrix}##

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    Apparently I have never heard of a matrix of an inner product.

Should I follow this?

5. Feb 16, 2016 #4
    But in the book they define lower indices as the number of colums, so I thought it were two 1x3 matrices?

6. Feb 16, 2016 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An inner product associates a pair of vectors with a scalar (and has a number of properties that I won't write down here).
    So with a basis of 3 vectors, you can associate 3*3 inner products, and that gives you the matrix I posted above.
    I don't know about the notation in your book, but in the image you posted it is clearly stated that ##e_1, e_2, e_3## form a basis, thus each of them is a vector. Their respective inner products is a perfectly well defined scalar.

I only watch the beginning of the video, but yes, the matrix representation of a inner product she is computing is the same concept as the one in your book. She uses a somewhat different notation, though.

7. Feb 16, 2016 #6
    So suddenly the lower indices represent columns in the case of μ and rows in the case for ν? And it's just plain matrix multiplication.
    First thing Samparlis did was define this in the book:

nIX9L4j.jpg

8. Feb 16, 2016 #7
    So when I saw eu and ev I thought two 1x3 matrices, since see notation above, which is not right, right?

9. Feb 16, 2016 #8
    So my error is, I don't understand the notations? Lower indices are not always columns?

If he defines the upper indices as rows and columns lower indices why isn't it

guv = eu . ev

instead of writing everything lower index

10. Feb 16, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget the notation for a moment. (I'm looking at the book right now, trying to understand it.)
    More important: do you understand how the combination of a basis (3 vectors) and an inner product leads to the definition of the matrix representation of that inner product?

11. Feb 16, 2016 #10
    Apparently not, but in the video I posted it is defined as 2x2 matrices and I don't have an example for a 3x3 matrix.

I have notion of Linear Algebra, never encountered matrix representation of an inner product.

12. Feb 16, 2016 #11
  13. Feb 16, 2016 #12

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##e_1, e_2, e_3## are (basis) vectors. They are not 1*3 matrices. The 1*3 matrix is ##(e_1, e_2, e_3)##, the matrix consisting of the three vectors taken together.
    There is nothing very difficult with this notion.
    If you get it in two dimensions, it is conceptually the same in 3 or 4 or 10 dimensions.

He defines ##g_{\mu\nu}## as the inner product of the vectors ##e_\mu## and ##e_\nu##.

14. Feb 16, 2016 #13
    So what he meant is

e1
    e2 times e1 e2 e3
    e3

and ordinary matrix multiplication?

15. Feb 16, 2016 #14

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can represent it this way. Just keep in mind that ##e_1,e_2,e_3## are themselves vectors, not scalars. And that the "product" of two vectors is the inner product.

16. Feb 19, 2016 #15
    To come back on my question.

Part of the confusion arose, because I've forgotton or looked over the meaning of the ≡ character. They were referring to the elements of the matrix. Stupid of me, but it's clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted