Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tsk tsk, milk contaminated w/ penicilline

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

500,000 liter of milk didn't get through the quality control test since their level of penicilline was 140 times the allowed amount.. tsk tsk

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where? Amsterdam?

- Warren

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Netherlands, yes, some farmer in one of the provinces. I wonder if this might be more prevalent than we realize, it is a really bad thing I imagine.

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is penicilline fungi really that dangerous? I thought it was everywhere anyway.

- Warren

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She is talking about the antibiotics. People are allergic to it.

Antibiotic misused in the farming industry has been a large problem and scientist have known about since to 80's. Some antibiotics used for human therapy are banned for farming used in many european country.

7. Dec 11, 2003 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ian, got it.. I was thinking that she meant that. I am, in fact, allergic to penicillin. I only found this out recently. :(

- Warren

8. Dec 11, 2003 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not good, usually people find out the hard way..

And also, I am wondering whether using that much penicilline would also create antibiotic resistance to human pathogens. Penicilline is one of the most widely used antibiotics, bacterial resistance would not be good.

9. Dec 11, 2003 #8

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It how so pathogen have become resistant to antibiotics. Animal bacteria to human microflora to other pathogen passing by in the intestine. This fact has been recorded in the mid-80's. It was not penicilline but some people got infected with an antibitotic resistant strain and retrace the strain inside to farm and the animals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?