Tsunami Alert Active! Oregon and Washington

  • #1
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,213
176

Main Question or Discussion Point

Well that's a first!

At 7:56PM PDT, an emergency alert was issued due to a large earthquake - initial est mag 7.2 - around Eureka California.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Evo
Mentor
23,141
2,690
Ivan Seeking said:
Well that's a first!

At 7:56PM PDT, an emergency alert was issued due to a large earthquake - initial est mag 7.2 - around Eureka California.
I hope you're not close to the coast!!
 
  • #3
SOS2008
Gold Member
24
1
Ivan Seeking said:
Well that's a first!

At 7:56PM PDT, an emergency alert was issued due to a large earthquake - initial est mag 7.2 - around Eureka California.
7.2 is gettin' up there. :eek:
 
  • #5
So I just heard that the California coast is lit up too.
I really hope it's just a false alarm.
 
  • #6
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,527
28
Do I need to stuff the cat in a pillowcase and start driving East?
 
  • #7
1,134
9
Better to be safe then sorry with the alert system. I hope for the best.
 
  • #8
rachmaninoff
I've heard it's been called off...
 
  • #9
Someone here said something about that too. Appearantly it will happen in the next maybe 30 min if it does at all.
 
  • #10
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
It should be called off. They were reporting the mexico/california border's tsunami alerts were activated but called off about 30 minutes late.
 
  • #11
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,824
2,034
The 7.2 quake near Eureka/Crescent City is shallow, only 10 km (6.2 mi) - 146 km (91 mi) WSW of Crescent City, CA.

It follows two other quake clusters, with a 5.2 quake (33.533°N, 116.578°W, Depth = 14.1 km (8.8 miles)) in S. California on Sunday, June 12, 99 km (62 miles) NNE (32°) from San Diego, CA, and the other a 5.0 quake (lat. 51.400N, long. 178.840E) at depth of 15.0km, and located 161 km (100 mi) WSW of Adak, AK.

Things seem to be heating up on the Eastern belt of the Ring of Fire.
 
Last edited:
  • #12
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Math Is Hard said:
Do I need to stuff the cat in a pillowcase and start driving East?
If you can get the pillowcase off of Gale's head, and the cat off of yours...
Anyhow, I hope it has been cancelled.
 
  • #13
658
2
Danger said:
If you can get the pillowcase off of Gale's head, and the cat off of yours...
Anyhow, I hope it has been cancelled.
man, i was gonna comment about that too... damn you.

btw, ring of fire is like, pacific ocean right?
 
  • #14
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,213
176
Evo said:
I hope you're not close to the coast!!
No, we're find here. We have a small mountain range between us and the ocean.

Has anyone heard any damage reports from N California?
 
  • #15
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Gale17 said:
man, i was gonna comment about that too... damn you.
I was gone for almost 3 hours. Just dumb luck that I checked back two minutes ahead of you.
 
  • #16
Gale said:
btw, ring of fire is like, pacific ocean right?
I thought it was Johnny Cash... ;-p
 
  • #17
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
no your wrong, it was a dumb movie that i didnt bother going to see :D
 
  • #18
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
827
14
i look at the USG website frequently, and there have been many large earthquakes over the past week up and down the ring of fire, from Alaska to California to South America. very interesting how it all happens so close together...
 
  • #19
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,824
2,034
Kerrie said:
i look at the USG website frequently, and there have been many large earthquakes over the past week up and down the ring of fire, from Alaska to California to South America. very interesting how it all happens so close together...
Within the same system, such as the Sunda trench near Sumatra, one earthquake relieves stress locally, but that produces an increase in stress elsewhere. An increase in activity from Alaska to Chile could mean something big is going on along the entire Eastern Pacific ROF. It bears watching.

I just wonder if we may start seeing more stonger > 7.0 and more frequent earthquakes. That would be very troublesome given the development along the Pacific coast.

Don't forget that the Cascades, Sierra Nevada, Bitteroots, and Rocky Mountains exist because of the tectonic movements. Could we be seeing a new period of significant activity?
 
  • #20
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,213
176
Astronuc said:
one earthquake relieves stress locally, but that produces an increase in stress elsewhere.
It's funny, but not too long ago that was considered to be nonsense.

Geologists have been watching the three sisters [mountains] here in Oregon. One has a bulge that has been growing at a worrisome rate. Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen in California have also sbeen showing signs of activity.
 
  • #21
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Astronuc said:
Within the same system, such as the Sunda trench near Sumatra, one earthquake relieves stress locally, but that produces an increase in stress elsewhere. An increase in activity from Alaska to Chile could mean something big is going on along the entire Eastern Pacific ROF. It bears watching.

I just wonder if we may start seeing more stonger > 7.0 and more frequent earthquakes. That would be very troublesome given the development along the Pacific coast.

Don't forget that the Cascades, Sierra Nevada, Bitteroots, and Rocky Mountains exist because of the tectonic movements. Could we be seeing a new period of significant activity?
Well, we keep telling California they're just going to fall off into the ocean one of these days. :tongue2:
 
  • #22
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
Moonbear said:
Well, we keep telling California they're just going to fall off into the ocean one of these days. :tongue2:
Methinks it's time to put toll gates in the Rockies.
 
  • #23
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,824
2,034
Moonbear said:
Well, we keep telling California they're just going to fall off into the ocean one of these days.
The part west of the San Andreas fault is shifting to the NNW.

The more serious concern would be new dramatic upthrusting. What is now shoreline on the coast may end up tens or hundreds of feet above current elevation. A lot of destruction and disruption there.

Also, some low lying areas could be submerged.

People nowadays forget that there are few parts of the US that have not been underwater at one time or another in the past 300-500 million years, although in general, the land has been slowly rising.
 
  • #24
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Astronuc said:
The part west of the San Andreas fault is shifting to the NNW.

The more serious concern would be new dramatic upthrusting. What is now shoreline on the coast may end up tens or hundreds of feet above current elevation. A lot of destruction and disruption there.

Also, some low lying areas could be submerged.

People nowadays forget that there are few parts of the US that have not been underwater at one time or another in the past 300-500 million years, although in general, the land has been slowly rising.
Okay, I've got my stake and I'm sticking it out in the ocean to claim my future beachfront property. :rofl: (In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't serious with my earlier comment...:uhh: not with this one either).
 
  • #25
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,213
176
Here in the NW, about sixty miles out at sea I think, we are due for a subduction zone event: mag 8 - 9. It has recently been discovered that these occur much more frequently than previously thought... I think they are now saying that these occur on about a 500 year cycle.
 

Related Threads on Tsunami Alert Active! Oregon and Washington

  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
31
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
28
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
2K
Top