TTU Dynamics - Energy Analysis in American Units

In summary, the problem involves an automobile weighing 1500 lbf that is being driven at 50 mph, utilizing 75 hp. When it is struck by head wind, its speed is reduced by 20%. Using the equation W' = Fv, the wind velocity can be calculated to be 0.05 mph.
Green Lantern
I am having a problem with dynamics this semester. Our professor gives us "FE-like" questions, which are actually more complicated than FE questions. I can get to where I need to apply the kinetic energy equation but my units look really large and I don't know what to do with W' or how I can get opposing head wind velocity from that.

Homework Statement

An automobile, weighing 1500 lbf is being driven at 50 mph utilizing 75 hp when
it it struck by head wind that drops its speed by 20%. How fast was the wind?
Ignore all friction but air drag.

Homework Equations

F = ma
E = (T+V)
T = (1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 1500 lbf
v1 = 50 mph
W' = 75 hp
ε = -20%

F = ma: 1500 = m(32.17)
m = 46.63 sl

v2 = v1(1 + ε): v2 = 50(1 - 0.2)
v2 = 40 mph

1 = 1.46 fps
∴v1 = 73 fps and v2 = 58.4 fpsT1 = (1/2)mv12: T1 = (1/2)(46.63)(732)
T1 =

T2 = (1/2)mv22: T2 = (1/2)(46.63)(58.42)
T2 =

The units here don't make sense, since I need to use lbf to get horsepower. Is there a way I can apply force to energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the power is given, you can use the equation W' = Fv to solve for the wind velocity. W' = Fv: 75 hp = (1500 lbf)(v)v = 0.05 mphTherefore, the opposing head wind velocity is 0.05 mph.

1. What is "TTU Dynamics - Energy Analysis in American Units"?

"TTU Dynamics - Energy Analysis in American Units" is a software program that allows users to analyze energy usage and efficiency in American units, such as BTUs and horsepower. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to study energy systems and processes.

2. How is this software different from other energy analysis programs?

This software is specifically designed to work with American units, which may be more familiar and relevant to users in the United States. It also offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of features for analyzing energy data.

3. Can this software be used for both large-scale and small-scale energy systems?

Yes, this software can be applied to energy systems of various sizes. It can analyze energy usage in buildings, industrial processes, and other complex systems, as well as smaller systems like appliances and vehicles.

4. Is "TTU Dynamics" suitable for both professionals and students?

Yes, this software is suitable for both professionals and students. It is commonly used in academic and research settings, but it is also user-friendly enough for those with limited experience in energy analysis.

5. Are updates and technical support available for this software?

Yes, this software is regularly updated and technical support is available for users. The creators of "TTU Dynamics" are committed to improving and maintaining the software to ensure its accuracy and usability.