Tube Pressure and Viscosity

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for pressure based off of a discussion of area and force. The student is having trouble understanding what pressure is.
jamesyboy1990
1. Homework Statement

where:
l = the length of the tube in cm
r = the radius of the tube in cm
p = the difference in pressure of the two ends of the tube in dynes per cm2
c = the coefficient of Viscosity in poises (dyne-seconds per cm2)
v = volume in cm3 per second
pi = 3.14159... (i couldn't get the symbol to appear)

I am doing an experiment in which i measure viscosity for different liquids. However, I'm having problems in obtaining value "p". I know that pressure is force times area. In this case, area should be the cross sectional area for the tube at one end, and the cross sectional area of the valve opening at the other end (if I'm not mistaken). However, what will be the force?

2. Homework Equations

where:
l = the length of the tube in cm
r = the radius of the tube in cm
p = the difference in pressure of the two ends of the tube in dynes per cm2
c = the coefficient of Viscosity in poises (dyne-seconds per cm2)
v = volume in cm3 per second
pi = 3.14159... (i couldn't get the symbol to appear)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know that pressure is force times area. In this case, area should be the cross sectional area for the tube at one end, and the cross sectional area of the valve opening at the other end (if I'm not mistaken). However, what will be the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't pressure defined as force divided by area?

oooo, typo. your right, i meant force PER UNIT area. but still, any ideas on my problem?

[tex]\frac{r^{4}(pi)p}{8cl}[/tex]

No, I was horrible at fluid mechanics. I was just making sure you didn't write it down wrong on your paper and then get confused. Aside from that, I'm useless.

Would the force be gravity?

What is tube pressure?

Tube pressure refers to the amount of force per unit area exerted on the walls of a tube. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

How does tube pressure affect flow rate?

The pressure inside a tube can affect the flow rate of a fluid through the tube. Higher tube pressure can increase flow rate, while lower tube pressure can decrease flow rate. This is because pressure is one of the factors that determines the resistance to flow in a tube.

What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is determined by the internal friction of a fluid and is typically measured in units of poise or centipoise. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, have a thicker consistency and flow more slowly than low viscosity fluids, such as water.

How does viscosity affect tube pressure?

Viscosity can affect tube pressure by increasing the resistance to flow in a tube. This means that a fluid with higher viscosity will require more pressure to maintain a certain flow rate through a tube. Viscosity also plays a role in determining the pressure drop along a tube, as higher viscosity fluids will have a greater pressure drop compared to lower viscosity fluids.

What factors can affect tube pressure and viscosity?

There are several factors that can affect tube pressure and viscosity, including temperature, fluid composition, and tube diameter. Temperature can affect both tube pressure and viscosity, as changes in temperature can alter the fluid's properties. The composition of the fluid can also impact its viscosity, as well as the tube pressure required for a certain flow rate. Additionally, the diameter of the tube can affect both tube pressure and viscosity, as larger diameter tubes typically have lower pressure and less resistance to flow compared to smaller diameter tubes.