1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tube with ultrathin wall

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    Designing mechanical system where two concentric tubes will pass through high density membrane.
    Outer tube will have tapered end .Outer tube will have ultra thin walls (about 0.3-0.5 mm) .Inner tube is more rigid and will fill all space inside outer tube,decreasing chance for deformation of outer tube .Still afraid about possible deformation of outer tube during process of insertion.I know that an average insertion force is about 50 newtons
    My main condition : prevent deformation/tearing of out er tube during insertion process
    Questions
    What parameters of material (rigidity ,something else ? ) I need to discuss with manufacturer of this part?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Before we can comment sensibly on specifications we will need a diagram that shows the relative positions of the membrane and the two tubes. Wall thickness is relative, what are the tube lengths and diameters?

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What size/length tubes are we talking about? How about visiting a model plane shop and buying some brass or aluminium tube to experiment with? Hypodermic needles are pretty strong and come in a range of sizes. 50N doesn't sound like much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook