Is it possible to create a tube with a variable diameter?

In summary, it seems that a tube can be created that with some kind of mechanism, its diameter will increase on demand. The range of the diameter should start at the smallest possible size and increase up to 1mm. In order to make the diameter increase, some kind of force/energy may need to be applied.
mather
hello!

I am interested to know if a tube can be created that with some kind of mechanism, its diameter will increase on demand

the range of the diameter should start at the smallest possible (0.01 mm or less if possible, even if the walls of the tube virtually concur) and increase up to 1mm or something

the tube must have walls so that it will not bend easily (with less than 500grams force or so)

any hints?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the physical requirements of the tube? ie: Does it have to be waterproof, airtight, just cohesive enough for a ball to run along...?
If the latter, a braided structure like what we Canucks call "Chinese finger puzzles" might work. Aside from that, I'm at a loss for now.

It has to be absolutely liquid-proof

A tube made of a synthetic rubber will expand its bore on demand (the demand being pressure). House it inside a PVC pipe to contain its expansion. May not be able to quite meet your demanding specs, though. :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
A tube made of a synthetic rubber will expand its bore on demand (the demand being pressure). House it inside a PVC pipe to contain its expansion. May not be able to quite meet your demanding specs, though. :wink:

it shouldn't be able to bend, it should only be able to increase its diameter in a specific amount

I imagine some force/energy would be needed to do the diameter increase

that force/energy could be mechanical, like the above mentioned chinese puzzle, or in another direction, ie. something like a few rails running inside through the tube in parallel, and by moving them with a direction opposite to the centre of the tube, to increase tube's diameter, given that tube's walls are able to expand (tube can still be non bendable, because of the rails inside it)

or there maybe other mechanical techniques for this?

or maybe some kind of magnetic, electric, thermal etc energy could achieve that better?

or there could be a specific material with such properties?

Does the expansion have to be linearly consistent, or are bulges allowed? I'm thinking along the line of NiTiNOL, specifically Biometal. That .01mm scale pretty much pooches anything that I can come up with, though.

it has to be linearly consistent
the 0.01mm scale is a must! :/

You have definitely piqued my interest, and I'll continue to monitor this thread. Unfortunately, I have absolutely nothing to offer. I hope that someone else can help you.

1. What is a "Tube with variable diameter"?

A tube with variable diameter is a type of tube that has different widths or diameters along its length. This means that the tube is not a consistent size from end to end, but rather changes in size at certain points.

2. How is a "Tube with variable diameter" useful?

A tube with variable diameter can be useful in a variety of applications. It can be used to control fluid flow, as the changing diameter can affect the speed and pressure of the fluid passing through. It can also be used in manufacturing processes to create products with different thicknesses or shapes.

3. What are the advantages of using a "Tube with variable diameter"?

One of the main advantages of using a tube with variable diameter is the ability to control and adjust fluid flow. This can be especially useful in industries such as oil and gas, where precise control of fluid flow is necessary. Additionally, using a tube with variable diameter can help reduce material and production costs, as it allows for the creation of products with varying thicknesses without the need for multiple molds or processes.

4. How is a "Tube with variable diameter" made?

A tube with variable diameter can be made using various methods, including extrusion, hydroforming, or rotary swaging. These processes involve shaping a metal tube into a desired diameter and then using specialized tools to create the variable diameter along its length. The specific method used will depend on the type of material and the desired shape and dimensions of the tube.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a "Tube with variable diameter"?

When designing a tube with variable diameter, factors such as the material, desired shape, and intended use should be taken into consideration. The location and frequency of the diameter changes should also be carefully planned to ensure optimal performance and functionality of the tube. Additionally, the manufacturing process and cost should also be considered in the design process.