Number of Tubes in Capacitor - 65 characters

• Thread starter Acuben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving a capacitor-like setup with tap water as the dielectric. The formula C=E[N(t)/N(v)] is used, where N(t) represents the number of "tubes" connecting the conductors. The question is what is meant by "tubes" in this context.
Acuben
"tubes" in capacitor

Homework Statement

question is: what are tubes in capacitor?
or...
tubes connecting the conductors?

I'm supposed to find number of tubes...

During a "Equipotentials and Electric Field lines" Lab
where I create a Capacitor-like settings and measure the different potentials at different location. tap water inside a large, broad bowl is used as dielectric of capacitor...then electric field of the water is drawn. (AC source was used, Two conducting objects that are connected by alligator clip was placed on the bowl).

I need to apply this formula for my lab
C=E[N(t)/N(v)]

and it said "N(t) is the number of 'tubes' connecting the conductor.

What do they mean by tubes?

Homework Equations

C=E[N(t)/N(v)]

(E stands for EMF voltage
N(t) is number of delta V's between conductors
N(t) is number of "tubes" connecting the conductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

bump: I just need to know what "tubes" are (tubes connecting conductor)

1. How does the number of tubes in a capacitor affect its performance?

The number of tubes in a capacitor is directly related to its capacitance, which is the measure of its ability to store electric charge. The more tubes there are, the higher the capacitance, and thus the greater the performance of the capacitor.

2. Is there an ideal number of tubes for a capacitor?

The ideal number of tubes in a capacitor depends on its intended use. For high voltage applications, a larger number of tubes is typically preferred to increase the capacitance. However, for low voltage applications, a smaller number of tubes may be sufficient.

3. Can the number of tubes in a capacitor be increased or decreased?

In most cases, the number of tubes in a capacitor is fixed and cannot be changed. However, some capacitors may have adjustable or variable capacitance, which can be achieved by changing the number of tubes or by adjusting the distance between the tubes.

4. How do the size and shape of the tubes impact the performance of a capacitor?

The size and shape of the tubes can affect the capacitance and other properties of a capacitor. Generally, larger and longer tubes have a higher capacitance, while smaller and shorter tubes have a lower capacitance. The shape of the tubes can also impact the electric field distribution within the capacitor.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of tubes in a capacitor?

The number of tubes in a capacitor is primarily determined by its intended use and desired capacitance. However, other factors such as the material and construction of the tubes, as well as the dielectric material used, can also play a role in determining the number of tubes required for optimal performance.