Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tubine to charge battery

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I am currently working on a project which involves using a turbine to charge some rechargable batteries. I am currently in the beginning stages of the research and have some questions right off the bat.

1. Does anybody know what is needed to go from a turbine output to the batteries. Can I assume that the output from a turbine moving at a constant angular velocity will be a constant DC current? Is a voltage regulator required, or diode and capacitor combination in order to maintain a constant voltage/current for constant and/or nonconstant angular velocities? If anyone knows of a website that does a good job of teaching the fundamentals of turbines that would be great.

2. Does anybody know of any sites where I can get some good information about some of the turbines currently on the market? Would it be better to buy a prepackaged all in one deal, if so does anyone know where I might find one?

3. Somewhat unrelated, does anyone have any good electrical engineering fundamentals websites? I find that most sites simply give a schematic and don't really address the theory.

I appreciate any information.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, a turbine doesn't generate electricity. A turbine just rotates. Your question depends entirely on the kind of generator you choose to connect to your turbine.

- Warren

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    www.otherpower.com

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

D, aside from the generator question, you didn't specify what kind of turbine you want. There are a lot of different ones... wind, water, gas, whatever. You could saw an old turbocharger in half to run from an engine exhaust, or mount a multi-vane unit horizontally under a waterfall, or just about anything else that you can think of.

6. Jul 11, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?