Exploring Tubing Design - Learn About Designing Tubes for Your Project

In summary, the conversation discusses a tubing drawing received from a customer and the notation used to indicate the location of bends. The first three points of the tube are found to lie on the same plane and this is likely done to indicate no elevation change. The conversation also includes a request for resources on tubing design and an explanation of the starting point for the tube in the drawing.
ara_anandv
Hi,

I had received a tubing drawing from our customer.
When studied i found the first 3 points of the tube lie on the same plane.(attached image).
Can you please explain the reason for providing this?

Please suggest a website or book where I can get more information on tubing design.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 412
Engineering news on Phys.org
ara_anandv said:
Hi,

I had received a tubing drawing from our customer.
When studied i found the first 3 points of the tube lie on the same plane.(attached image).
Can you please explain the reason for providing this?

Please suggest a website or book where I can get more information on tubing design.

Thanks

Although I've never seen a tubing or piping isometric drawing with that notation, I would presume it is to indicate that there is no elevation change.

CS

We do something very similar to this for complex tube assembly shapes on our engines. In our case, the 3D coordinate we use shows the location of bends. Usually we see an accompanying chart that lists bend radii and angles.

Why not just go to your Machinery's Handbook or if you have Marks' Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers that would be a start. Just viewing the Chart you supplied, the first point is the starting point of your tube while the following are the intersection points of the bends (just assuming from the chart).

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
We do something very similar to this for complex tube assembly shapes on our engines. In our case, the 3D coordinate we use shows the location of bends. Usually we see an accompanying chart that lists bend radii and angles.

Ah, that makes sense!

CS

Sorry for the incomplete information.
Yes the points given are the intersecting points of the bend.
In the drawing they have given the bend angle, radius and also the 3d bend angle.

Please explain regarding the first 3 points i.e. A, B, C.
They lie on the same plane.
Is there any specific reason behind this?

Thanks

ara_anandv said:
Sorry for the incomplete information.
Yes the points given are the intersecting points of the bend.
In the drawing they have given the bend angle, radius and also the 3d bend angle.

Please explain regarding the first 3 points i.e. A, B, C.
They lie on the same plane.
Is there any specific reason behind this?

Thanks

Probably due to an obstruction.

CS

When designing tubes and creating drawings there needs to be a starting point for the tube where everything begins. So, if you look at your tubing run end (doesn't matter which end) as the beginning of it's own universe where the center of the tube at that point has no value, the point would be: 0, 0, 0. everything measured from that end center point of tube then will have a value, hence the other values. I attached an example of another type of bend report but it assumes that the starting value is: 0, 0, 0.
The reason for this is so the tube manufacturer can set up their tools using the starting point given on the drawing. This probably is the easiest way to define a 3D object into 2D space by defining the start, each intersection point and the end point. Hope this helps.

1. What is tubing design?

Tubing design is the process of creating and designing tubes for various projects. It involves determining the appropriate size, material, and shape of the tube to meet specific project requirements.

2. Why is tubing design important?

Tubing design is important because it ensures that the tubes used in a project are optimized for their intended purpose. This can improve the efficiency, safety, and overall success of the project.

3. What factors should be considered when designing tubes?

Some important factors to consider when designing tubes include the intended use of the tubes, the material they are made of, the size and shape of the tubes, and the environmental conditions they will be exposed to.

4. How can I learn about designing tubes?

There are various resources available for learning about tubing design, such as online tutorials, books, and courses. You can also consult with experienced engineers or attend workshops to gain practical knowledge.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in tubing design?

Some common mistakes in tubing design include using the wrong material or size for the intended purpose, not considering environmental factors, and not accounting for potential stresses and strains on the tubes. It is important to thoroughly research and plan before finalizing a tubing design to avoid these mistakes.