Tungsten Battery Anode: Charge & Experiments

In summary, Copper and tungsten have different redox potentials, so it's not valid to charge a battery by changing the temperature.
Skyland
TL;DR Summary
Not sure if this belongs here
Does anyone know if a tungsten-/copper+ saltwater battery have any significant charge if any? Willing to experiment myself, but don't want to waste money without asking first

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looking at standard redox potentials is always a good starting point.

I was reading that tungsten's redox potential was influenced by temperature and was wanting to see if you could charge the battery at high temperature to charge the tungsten with electrons, then discharge the battery at a lower temperature, and was wondering what the cheapest electrolyte/cathode would be to start experimenting with this hypothesis, is there a list of standard redox potentials by electrolyte or paired metals floating around? I'm definitely a learn by doing individual, I just wanted to know where to start the experiment.

Edit: now that I have watched a video on standard redox potential, I'm going to do some pen and paper calculations and potentially ask you to correct any misguided thinking

Last edited:
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1892830417.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1736434245.jpeg

From what I learned the potential of a Copper tungsten cell of is 0.457v, did I do the math right? or no? also believe my previous hypothesis is incorrect, as tungsten's oxidation potential would be increased at higher temperatures and it's reduction potential would be increased at lower temperatures, meaning I'd have to now reverse my experiment. Charge @ lower temperatures and discharge @ higher temperatures. Which doesn't make sense in any practical application.

Skyland said:
View attachment 258206View attachment 258207

From what I learned the potential of a Copper tungsten cell of is 0.457v, did I do the math right? or no? also believe my previous hypothesis is incorrect, as tungsten's oxidation potential would be increased at higher temperatures and it's reduction potential would be increased at lower temperatures, meaning I'd have to now reverse my experiment. Charge @ lower temperatures and discharge @ higher temperatures. Which doesn't make sense in any practical application.
This isn't right. Why do you think tungsten's oxidation and reduction potentials are different? It's just one or the other direction for the reaction. The temperature dependence of electrochemical potential is given by the Nernst equation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nernst_equation
To a very good approximation, changing the temperature should not change the order of the redox potentials.

(There may be secondary effects for highly non-ideal solutions that dramatically change the chemical activity of the species at different temperatures--making the notion of charging a battery by changing the temperature a really fascinating idea--but this would be at least a Ph.D. project unto itself.)

I did not think the the temperature would change whether the tungsten would be oxidized or reduced, I thought it would change the voltage potential, and I wanted to see if charging the battery at a higher temperature, and discharging it at a lower temper would have effects on the battery overall output, but, like it's been pointed out to me I should just be focused on learning the basics, so once my tungsten rods and copper pipe arrived, I made a salt water battery, and learned very quickly that my thoughts on the battery were wrong, with the common on tungsten the multi meter read -0.33 volts dc, which meant in a salt water battery the tungsten is the cathode, I was confused at first because my understanding of the table meant, I had sodium hydroxide and peroxide on hand, and I knew that a even dilute mixture would disolve copper, so I made another setup with the lye/peroxide solution, this time with common on tungsten the multimeter read 0.45 volts, very close to my original math, however the copper although it was being reduced, still oxidized, and black copper oxide precipitated into solution and blue copper hydroxide formed on the outside of the pipe which was different on the other battery because I had formed green copper oxide on the inside of the pipe being oxidized. ( Yes I realize that didn't need to be one sentence, if you met me you'd be annoyed cause I also talk like that) It was cool to see how diffrently the copper oxidized in each test and I was glad I learned a key piece of information on reduction and oxidation in Batteries.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1308766239.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--72998147.jpeg

1. What is a Tungsten Battery Anode?

A Tungsten Battery Anode is a type of battery electrode made from the element tungsten. It is used in rechargeable batteries to store and release electrical energy.

2. How does a Tungsten Battery Anode charge?

A Tungsten Battery Anode charges through a process called electrochemical oxidation. This involves the transfer of electrons from the anode to the cathode, creating a flow of electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using a Tungsten Battery Anode?

Tungsten Battery Anodes have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a small space. They also have a long lifespan and are more environmentally friendly than other battery materials.

4. What experiments have been done with Tungsten Battery Anodes?

Some experiments with Tungsten Battery Anodes have focused on improving their performance and durability. Others have explored their potential use in new types of batteries, such as solid-state batteries.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a Tungsten Battery Anode?

One potential drawback of Tungsten Battery Anodes is their high cost compared to other battery materials. They also have a lower conductivity, which can affect the efficiency of the battery.