Tungsten wires of all electric light bulbs

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of tungsten wires in electric light bulbs and the requirements for their power consumption. It is shown that at constant voltage, r/l^2 must be constant, and if the power consumption ratio is n, then r2/r1 = n^(2/3) and l2/l1 = n^(1/3). The conversation also mentions various formulas and the difficulty in putting them together to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the realization that the solution was already mentioned in the problem statement.
discoverer02
I'm looking for a jump start with this one. I'm having trouble getting started.

The tungsten wires of all electric light bulbs are designed to glow at about the same temperature. This requires, as a first approximation, that the power per unit surface area of the filament be the same for all.

a) Show that this leads to the requirement, at constant voltage, that r/l^2 is constant, where r is the radius and l is the length of the filament.

b) If P2/P1 = n is the ratio of the power consumption of two different light bulbs, show that r2/r1 = n^(2/3) and that l2/l1 = n^(1/3).

I've got lots of formulas, but I'm having trouble putting them together to show what a) and b) ask for. I'm sure once I get a), b) will follow easily.

P = I^2*R => I is current; R is resistance
R = pl/A => p is resistivity; A is surface area; l is length
A = [pi]r^2

P = I^2(pl/A) => P = I^2(pl/([pi]r^2))

P = V^2/R where V is potential
V^2 = (I^2)(R^2) => V = IR

So I'm going around in circles and getting nowhere.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. I have a feeling the answer is staring me straight in the face, but I'm not seeing it.

Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by discoverer02
that the power per unit surface area of the filament be the same for all.

I think this is talking about exterior surface so:
P1/2πr1l1=P2/2πr2l2
Then use P=U2/R=U2*π*r2 / ρl

I need to learn to read the problem statement more carefully.

Thanks for your help Sonty.

1. What is the purpose of tungsten wires in electric light bulbs?

Tungsten wires are used in electric light bulbs because they have a high melting point and are able to withstand the high temperatures needed to produce light. They also have a low rate of evaporation, allowing the bulb to last longer.

2. How are tungsten wires made for electric light bulbs?

Tungsten wires for electric light bulbs are made by first extracting tungsten from its ore and then melting it down into a liquid form. The liquid tungsten is then drawn into thin wires through a process called extrusion. These wires are then cut to the desired length and coated with a protective layer before being used in light bulbs.

3. What makes tungsten the ideal material for electric light bulb wires?

Tungsten is the ideal material for electric light bulb wires because of its high melting point, low evaporation rate, and ability to conduct electricity efficiently. It also has a high tensile strength, allowing it to withstand the high temperatures and stress of being heated and cooled repeatedly.

4. How do tungsten wires contribute to the energy efficiency of electric light bulbs?

Tungsten wires contribute to the energy efficiency of electric light bulbs by producing light at a high temperature, which allows for a brighter light with less energy consumption. Additionally, their low evaporation rate means they last longer, reducing the need for frequent replacements.

5. Are there any alternatives to tungsten wires for electric light bulbs?

While tungsten wires are the most commonly used material for electric light bulbs, there are some alternatives. These include carbon filaments, which were used in older light bulbs, and newer technologies such as LED bulbs that use semiconductors to produce light. However, tungsten wires remain a popular choice due to their cost-effectiveness and reliability.