1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tuning fork

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    is the vibrating energy of a tuning fork the same as the oscillating energy of a tuning fork?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, I'd say yes. An oscillation is a periodic vibration, so "vibration" is more general, and "oscillation" is more specific, but they are almost synonyms. The energy will be changing between elastic potential and kinetic energies as the fork tines move back and forth, of course this energy diminishes over time due to the sound that emits.

4. Oct 11, 2005 #3
    that's what i think too~

but in this question that a posted about a month ago,

"Assume that a certain 660-Hz tuning fork can be considered as a harmonic oscillator whose vibrational energy is 0.04 J. Compare the energy quanta of this tuning fork with those of an atomic osillator that emits and absorbs orange light whose frequency is 5.00*10^14 Hz."

i still don't understand why the tuning fork has different vibrational and oscillating energy...

5. Oct 11, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see anything in your quote that says it does! It is asking you to campare the energy quanta of two different oscillators- one with 660 Hz frequency and the other with the much higher 5.00x 1014 Hz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?