Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tuning Forks

1. Nov 26, 2003 #1
    I'm writing up project on tuning forks and came across website:

which suggests that a tuning fork has a fundamental frequency that is different from the frequency stamped on the fork, due to some corrections due to its overtone frequencies. I'm not sure of the origin of this discrepency, is it due to sound interfearing or the way the brain interprets the noise? Has anyone got any equations to qualitativly predict what is going on?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't believe the document says that at all. What it says is that any tuning fork will vibrate at its fundamental frequency (the one stamped on it), and also at multiples of that frequency. These multiples are called harmonics.

Generally, the fundamental-mode vibration is the largest amplitude, and thus the most easily heard. If you strike a tuning fork and then touch it in the right place to dampen the fundamental vibration while permitting one or more harmonic vibrations, you can then hear the harmonics.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?