Tunnel through the center of the earth

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios where an object of mass m is dropped through a tunnel dug through the center and off-center of the earth. In the first scenario, it is shown that the force on the object is a linear restoring force and the period of oscillation can be calculated. In the second scenario, it is stated that the period of oscillation is equal to that of the object dropped through the center of the earth. The conversation also provides a hint to use Gauss' Law to determine the variation of mass with distance in the Earth's gravitational force equation.
DarkWing
Hello, hopefully some of you physics people can help me out here, because I'm pretty clueless. I've seen this asked before, but I couldn't relate that to my specific problem.
Part I: A tunnel is dug through the center of the earth, and an object of mass m is dropped through the tunnel.
  • Show that the force on m is a linear restoring force
  • Find the period of oscillation
  • Show that the period of an obriting satellite (at Re) is equal to the period of the object dropped through the tunnel

Part II:
A frictionless tunnel is dug through the earth, not though the center.
  • Show the period is equal to that of the object from Part I, which is dropped through the center of the earth.
I've been trying this all day, but I'm not even sure where to begin. Thanks for the help everyone.
Note: I'm not necessarily asking from someone to do this whole problem, although that would be nice. I just need a little help getting started.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Use Gauss' Law!

The force due to gravity at any time is

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

but the M in that equation is only that part of the Earth's mass at a distance less than r.

So, your first problem is to determine how M varies with r. The simplest way is to assume a constant-density Earth.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

1. How long would it take to travel through a tunnel that goes through the center of the earth?

The time it takes to travel through the center of the earth depends on the speed of the object and the density of the material surrounding the tunnel. In theory, it would take approximately 42 minutes and 12 seconds to travel through the center of the earth at a constant speed of 17,500 miles per hour.

2. Is it possible for humans to travel through a tunnel that goes through the center of the earth?

While it is theoretically possible to dig a tunnel through the center of the earth, it is not currently feasible for humans to travel through it. The extreme temperatures and pressures, as well as the molten lava at the earth's core, make it impossible for humans to survive the journey.

3. How deep would a tunnel through the center of the earth be?

The depth of a tunnel through the center of the earth would vary depending on the location and shape of the tunnel. However, on average, it would be approximately 6,371 kilometers (3,959 miles) deep, as this is the distance from the earth's surface to its center.

4. What would happen if a tunnel through the center of the earth was dug?

If a tunnel through the center of the earth was dug, the forces of gravity would cause the tunnel to collapse due to the immense pressure and weight of the surrounding material. Additionally, the extreme temperatures and molten lava at the earth's core would make it impossible for the tunnel to remain intact.

5. Has a tunnel through the center of the earth ever been attempted?

No, a tunnel through the center of the earth has never been attempted. While there have been various proposals and thought experiments about the possibility of such a tunnel, it is currently not feasible with our current technology and understanding of the earth's interior.