Solving for L in Tunneling Probability Equation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the tunneling probability of an electron crossing between two pieces of gold separated by a distance L. The goal is to find the value of L for which the transmission probability is approximately 10^-3. The tunneling equation is rearranged and solved for L, with the help of the value of G=1. The only issue is determining the values for U0 and E, which are the potential energy and total energy respectively. After some discussion and confusion, the person eventually figures out how to find these values and solves the problem.
Kaldanis
I'm in the process of studying for my final and I just can't solve this problem:

The work function (energy needed to remove an electron) of gold is 5.1 eV. Two pieces of gold (at the same potential) are separated by a distance L.

For what value of L will the transmission probability for an electron to cross from one to the other be T ≈ 10-3? Assume that G = 1 in the formula for the tunneling probability.

(a) L = 0.001 nm
(b) L = 0.02 nm
(c) L = 0.1 nm
(d) L = 0.3 nm
(e) L = 4

pOhup.gif

The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure I rearrange the tunneling equation and solve for L. Things are made easier since I'm told G=1. This means that [itex]L = -\frac{ln(T)}{2K}[/itex] , where [itex]K=\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar}(U_{0-E})}[/itex]. My only problem is which values do I use for U0 and E?

Physics news on Phys.org
E is total energy and V is potential energy. Oh, and think about the definition of the work function ;).

I'm still not having any luck with this problem. I know that I need to find the Potential Energy (U0) and total Energy. The work function is given as 5.1eV and from the picture it looks like this is the value of the PE, I think I could be wrong though. I still have no idea how to find potential and total from only the work function.

My final for quantum is tomorrow, can anyone help clear this up for me?

Nevermind, I got it. :)

How did you do it? I have my final in a few hours and it would be nice to know.

1. What is tunnelling probability?

Tunnelling probability is the likelihood that a particle will pass through a potential barrier, despite not having enough energy to do so classically. It is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle can "tunnel" through a barrier even when it does not have sufficient energy to overcome it.

2. How is tunnelling probability calculated?

Tunnelling probability is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The equation takes into account the potential barrier, the energy of the particle, and the wave function of the particle to determine the probability of it tunnelling through the barrier.

3. What factors affect the tunnelling probability?

The tunnelling probability is affected by several factors, including the energy of the particle, the height and width of the potential barrier, and the shape of the barrier. Additionally, the mass and charge of the particle also play a role in determining the tunnelling probability.

4. What is the significance of tunnelling probability in quantum mechanics?

Tunnelling probability is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has many practical applications. It helps explain phenomena such as radioactive decay, nuclear fusion, and electron tunneling in electronic devices. Additionally, it also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. Can tunnelling probability be observed in real-life?

Yes, tunnelling probability has been observed in various experiments, such as scanning tunneling microscopy and electron tunneling in semiconductors. It is also a crucial factor in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and tunnel diodes.