Possible Frequencies of Tuning Fork with Fixed Wire: 5.20 Hz Beat Frequency

• Thread starter DDS
  • Start date
In summary, a wire with a mass of 0.0145 kg and a length of 1.92 m, fixed at both ends, vibrates under a tension of 193 N. When a tuning fork is placed near the wire, a beat frequency of 5.20 Hz is heard. To find the possible frequencies of the tuning fork, one can rearrange the formula for beat frequency and plug in the known values for the wire's properties. To find the tension required for the beats to disappear, one must match the frequency of the string to that of the tuning fork, resulting in two possible tensions. Beats can be used as a method for tuning stringed instruments.
DDS
A 0.0145 kg, 1.92 m long wire is fixed at both ends and vibrates in its simplest mode under a tension of 193 N. When a tuning fork is placed near the wire, a beat frequency of 5.20 Hz is heard. What are the possible frequencies of the tuning fork?

B)What should the tension in the wire be if the beats are to disappear?

for part A i have calcuated

u=7.55e-3 and velocity along the string which is v=159 m/s

what i am thinking of doing is the following:

i know my beat freq. is 5.20 Hz. I also know that

Freq.b = Delta w/2pi

i am thinking of rearanging to find w and then pluging everything into:

F= 1/2pi * srt w

that may give me one frequency of the tunning frok and then from here i take the frequency from my answer and then minus my beat frequency from it giving me my other frequency.

Is this what i have to do??

and for B) I am not really sure how to approach it any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
is this the correct method or am i doing something wrong?

can anyone out there help me please

DDS said:
A 0.0145 kg, 1.92 m long wire is fixed at both ends and vibrates in its simplest mode under a tension of 193 N. When a tuning fork is placed near the wire, a beat frequency of 5.20 Hz is heard. What are the possible frequencies of the tuning fork?

B)What should the tension in the wire be if the beats are to disappear?

for part A i have calcuated

u=7.55e-3 and velocity along the string which is v=159 m/s

what i am thinking of doing is the following:

i know my beat freq. is 5.20 Hz. I also know that

Freq.b = Delta w/2pi

i am thinking of rearanging to find w and then pluging everything into:

F= 1/2pi * srt w

that may give me one frequency of the tunning frok and then from here i take the frequency from my answer and then minus my beat frequency from it giving me my other frequency.

Is this what i have to do??

and for B) I am not really sure how to approach it any hints?

Your velocity round off could be better. Where is the frequency of vibration of the string? You need it as a reference point to combine with the beat frequency to find the tuning fork frequency.

The last part is simply matching the frequency of the string to the frequency of the tuning fork. Since there are two possible fork frequencies, there will be two possible tensions, one looser and one tighter than the starting tension.

Beats can be used to help tune a stringed instrument like a guitar to itself. It is often done by forcing it to vibrate in a harmonic mode by simply touching the string in the right places to create vibration nodes, then playing another string to listen for any beats.

"Where is the frequency of vibration of the string?"

I am not sure, could you elabortae further?

got it thanks for the help

1. What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small, handheld instrument that produces a pure tone when struck against a hard surface. It is typically made of metal and has two prongs that vibrate at a specific frequency.

2. How is a tuning fork used?

Tuning forks are used to tune musical instruments, such as pianos and guitars. They are also used in science and medicine for testing hearing and vibration levels.

3. How does a tuning fork produce sound?

When the prongs of a tuning fork are struck, they vibrate at a specific frequency, which creates sound waves in the air. These sound waves travel to our ears and are interpreted by our brain as sound.

4. What is the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork varies depending on its size and shape, but the standard tuning fork used in music has a frequency of 440 Hz.

5. Can a tuning fork lose its tuning over time?

Yes, tuning forks can lose their tuning over time due to environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity. They may also become out of tune if they are dropped or damaged.