Calculating Power Output of a Turbine: What Factors Should Be Considered?

In summary, you are trying to come up with an approximate power output of a turbine with a radius of 1m and a torque of 600N. You don't have any materials to work with, but you assume fibreglass could be an efficient material. If you hooked this up to a generator, how much output would you get? You also need to calculate the angular velocity and get back to the poster.
Giorgows
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, although I've often referred to many posts for random information, so thanks to all the people who dedicate time to other peoples questions, I greatly appreciate it. This is my first attempt for something like this and my knowledge of physics is very basic.

So here's my problem.. I am trying to come up with an approximate power output of a turbine
with a radius of 1m with a force directly applied at the tip of the turbines of 600N (torque?)
I assume that wind generates much lower torque so the equivalent energy production of a wind turbine the same size would produce much less energy. (right?)

I don't have any materials in order to base my approximations of the weight of the turbines, but I assume fibreglass could be an efficient material in this case.

So if i hooked this up to a generator, how much output would i get?
What other factors am i missing that I should be including in my equations? Any input would be great
i don't expect any direct answer since I am probably missing out on too many factors at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Torque is force times length of the lever arm.
Power is torque times angular speed (in radians/sec).

You should be able to calculate torque from what you know, but didn't say what the speed would be.

Where did these numbers come from? What is powering this turbine?

lets say the turbine is being powered by a hypothetical source you could assume anything, and say that source created a force of 600N at the tip of a 1m radius turbine for example, how could i carry on from this hypothesis get to some kind of approximation of power output?

Giorgows said:
say that source created a force of 600N at the tip of a 1m radius turbine for example,
At which angular speed?

Giorgows said:
lets say the turbine is being powered by a hypothetical source you could assume anything, and say that source created a force of 600N at the tip of a 1m radius turbine for example, how could i carry on from this hypothesis get to some kind of approximation of power output?
Um...you just repeated your first post with different words and only answered one of my questions... And I already answered your question.

Giorgows said:

You are missing out on the vital fact that Power is equal to Torque times Revs. If you don't specify the revs then you have no idea about the power. The gearbox on your car has no effect on the power that's available.

so my understanding is that i need to find out the angular speed that will result in a calculation of RPM which will allow me to calculate the power? i thought angular velocity would be calculable using the force exerted onto the tip of the turbine sorry for the mistake. I will do what i can do estimate the angular velocity and get back to you

What is a turbine power calculation?

A turbine power calculation is the process of determining the power output of a turbine based on various factors such as the type of turbine, the size and speed of the turbine, and the efficiency of the turbine. It is an important aspect of designing and operating a turbine system.

What factors are involved in turbine power calculations?

The factors that are involved in turbine power calculations include the type of turbine, the size and speed of the turbine, the efficiency of the turbine, and the density and velocity of the fluid or gas that is driving the turbine.

How is the efficiency of a turbine determined in power calculations?

The efficiency of a turbine is determined by comparing the actual power output of the turbine to the theoretical maximum power output. This can be calculated by considering factors such as the design of the turbine, the materials used, and the operating conditions.

What is the purpose of conducting turbine power calculations?

The purpose of conducting turbine power calculations is to accurately determine the power output of a turbine system, which is important for designing and operating efficient and effective turbine systems. It also helps in predicting the performance of a turbine and identifying areas for improvement.

How are turbine power calculations used in renewable energy systems?

Turbine power calculations are crucial in renewable energy systems, such as wind and hydro power, where turbines are used to generate electricity. These calculations help in determining the optimal size and design of the turbine for maximum power output, as well as predicting the energy production of the system.