1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turbine Power calculations

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum, although ive often refered to many posts for random information, so thanks to all the people who dedicate time to other peoples questions, I greatly appreciate it. This is my first attempt for something like this and my knowledge of physics is very basic.

So heres my problem.. Im trying to come up with an approximate power output of a turbine
    with a radius of 1m with a force directly applied at the tip of the turbines of 600N (torque?)
    I assume that wind generates much lower torque so the equivalent energy production of a wind turbine the same size would produce much less energy. (right?)

I dont have any materials in order to base my approximations of the weight of the turbines, but I assume fibreglass could be an efficient material in this case.

So if i hooked this up to a generator, how much output would i get?
    What other factors am i missing that I should be including in my equations? Any input would be great
    i dont expect any direct answer since im probably missing out on too many factors at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Torque is force times length of the lever arm.
    Power is torque times angular speed (in radians/sec).

You should be able to calculate torque from what you know, but didn't say what the speed would be.

Where did these numbers come from? What is powering this turbine?

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3
    lets say the turbine is being powered by a hypothetical source you could assume anything, and say that source created a force of 600N at the tip of a 1m radius turbine for example, how could i carry on from this hypothesis get to some kind of approximation of power output?

5. Feb 14, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At which angular speed?

6. Feb 14, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Um....you just repeated your first post with different words and only answered one of my questions... And I already answered your question.

7. Feb 14, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are missing out on the vital fact that Power is equal to Torque times Revs. If you don't specify the revs then you have no idea about the power. The gearbox on your car has no effect on the power that's available.

8. Feb 15, 2014 #7
    so my understanding is that i need to find out the angular speed that will result in a calculation of RPM which will allow me to calculate the power? i thought angular velocity would be calculable using the force exerted onto the tip of the turbine sorry for the mistake. I will do what i can do estimate the angular velocity and get back to you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook