Solve Turbine Output Power: Bernoulli's Equation & Mass Flow Rate

• Thread starter Brabs23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, the conversation discusses a turbine installed in a vertical pipe line with a gauge connected at points A and B to measure pressure. When the discharge is 0.06m^3/s, the gauges read 400kN/m^3 and 35kN/m^3 respectively. Using Bernoulli's equation, the speaker is trying to calculate the output power of the turbine, assuming it to be 85% efficient. They also discuss the relationship between pressure and flow rates in fluid power and how to calculate the power absorbed by the turbine.
Brabs23
A turbine is installed in a vertical pipe line, 150mm diameter. A gauge is connected to the pipe at a point A above the turbine and another at point B below the turbine, the vertical distance between A and B being 1.2m. When the discharge is 0.06m^3/s, the gauages read 400kN/m^3 and 35kN/m^3 respectively.

Calculate the output power from the turbine, assuming it to be 85% efficient.

I've found the Cross sectional area = 0.01767m^2

Vol per sec = 0.06
therefore 0.06 = m/roh
0.06 = m/10^3
therefore mass flow rate = 60

Q = AV
0.06 = 0.01767V
therefore V = 3.395m/s

Then gone on to use Bernoulli's ... unsucessfully!

Any help? Am I on the right tracks or?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to think about how pressure and flow rates relate to fluid power.

I know I need the pressure values to put into the bernoullis equation but that is what I am stuck on finding/working out

What quantity do the gauges measure? I assume its pressure (kN/m^2) and that you just wrote the unit as kN/m^3 by mistake.

If it is pressure they measure, you have the pressure and flow rate at two points in the flow so you can very easily calculate the fluid power those points without need of Bernoulli's equation. You also know how much pressure (and hence fluid power) increases over a 1.2 m drop so you can calculate how much power the fluid should have at point B if the turbine wasn't there. The difference between that value and the actual measured power at B is equal to the fluid power absorbed by the turbine (well, and pipe resistance, but that seems to be ignored in the problem text).

So I presume that the flow rate that I have is correct?

Yes, if the volume flow rate is 0.060 m^3/s and it is water we are talking about (density 1000 kg/m^3) then a mass flow rate of 60 kg/s is correct.

Thanks a lot!

I know how much the fluid power/pressure increases by 1.2m drop but how do I work it out if the turbine isn't there?

If there were no turbine (i.e. no pressure resistance between A and B), the pressure at B should be the pressure PA at A plus the pressure increase Ph from the drop. If we now include the turbine and the measured pressure PB at B, you now also have to include the pressure drop across the turbine PT so that you get the relation PA - PT + Ph = PB from which you can calculate PT and the fluid power that it corresponds to (using the mass flow rate).

That makes more sense to me now, thank you :)

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and how does it relate to turbine output power?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the velocity, pressure, and height of a fluid at different points in a system. In the case of a turbine, Bernoulli's equation can be used to calculate the change in pressure and velocity of the fluid as it passes through the turbine blades, and ultimately determines the output power of the turbine.

2. How is mass flow rate related to turbine output power?

Mass flow rate is the amount of fluid that passes through a given area per unit time. In the context of a turbine, the mass flow rate determines the amount of kinetic energy that is available to be converted into mechanical energy by the turbine blades. Therefore, a higher mass flow rate generally results in a higher turbine output power.

3. How do you solve for turbine output power using Bernoulli's equation and mass flow rate?

To solve for turbine output power, you will need to use Bernoulli's equation in conjunction with the mass flow rate. You will first need to calculate the change in velocity and pressure of the fluid as it passes through the turbine, using the inlet and outlet conditions. Then, using the mass flow rate, you can calculate the kinetic energy of the fluid and determine the turbine output power.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating turbine output power using Bernoulli's equation and mass flow rate?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation, including assumptions made in the application of Bernoulli's equation, losses due to friction and turbulence, and variations in fluid properties such as density and viscosity. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors in order to obtain an accurate calculation of turbine output power.

5. Can Bernoulli's equation and mass flow rate be used to calculate turbine output power for all types of turbines?

While Bernoulli's equation and mass flow rate can be used to calculate turbine output power for many types of turbines, there are certain types, such as reaction turbines, that may require additional considerations and equations to accurately determine the output power. It is important to understand the principles and limitations of these equations when applying them to different types of turbines.