Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turbomachinery: A first text ?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    Can anyone recommend a good introductory text? I have studied Fluids, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Math methods at graduate level. I am in the Aerospace industry if that affects responses.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    So far I have been reading from this book. I am not loving it, but I don't hate it yet either. It assumes to much prior knowledge about turbines and compressors, like the part names and functions. Maybe I need a different type of book? I basically need a text on jet engines. Turbomachinery seemed like the right place to start though.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    Any thoughts on this one? Still looking.

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4
    I'm a design engineer for a company that designs turbo-machinery. I've never seen a book that I would recommend. Anyone who hires you would plan on spending more than a year training you. What I need to do my job is propritory and not published to the public domain. Each company has spent decades and billions of dollars developing their own knowledge base, each a little different from the other. Then they hold it close to the chest.

Aero and fluids is a tiny part of the job, probably 3 out of 1000 jobs. But they are always looking for heat transfer folks for secondary flow. Most the work is mechanical design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook