Turbulence and Steering Control

In summary, using both the kayak's rudder and a trolling motor for steering can potentially shorten the turning radius, but there may be some interference between the two systems that needs to be taken into consideration. It is recommended to test it out in action to determine the most effective steering method.
KayakGuy
Simple Question (I hope) being that air flow and water flow are similar...I own a Hobie ProAngler Kayak that I've modified. I built a transom mount and added an electric trolling motor (Motorguide, Varimax T-55). The Kayak's normal propulsion is a pedal drive system that uses wing-like flippers. The kayak has a rudder system that when in the stowed position (under the Kayak) acts like part of the keel, and can be deployed by release of a string located in the cockpit. The steering system consists of a pully hub that's movement is controlled by spectra control line that runs to a steering lever located in the cockpit, and the pully is attached to a vertical shaft that runs through the Kayak's hull that is attached to the rudder.

When on the water using just the pedal drive, and as long as the kayak has water moving across the rudder, the Kayak steers great (will turn a radius within the Kayak's length...I currently have the trolling motor fixed in a straight forward position, attached to the transom behind the rudder, and use the Kayak's rudder to steer. When using the motor, the Kayak has a much larger turning radius...Soo...My question is...

If I wanted to use the trolling motor in addition to the Kayak's rudder to steer (both being aligned with the centerline of the Kayak, and both attached to the same steering hub pully, allowing coordinated movement)...Would the rudder and motor steering work together to shorten the turning radius, or would the turbulence created by the Kayak rudder interfere with the motor's steering, causing the two to work against each other or be less efficient?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
in advance for your help. The answer to your question is that it is possible for the rudder and motor steering to work together to shorten the turning radius, however the turbulence created by the rudder can interfere with the motor's steering. The best way to find out for sure is to test it out on the water and see how it works. Additionally, you may need to adjust the amount of power from the motor in order to get the desired result.

1. What is turbulence?

Turbulence is the chaotic and unpredictable movement of air or water. It is caused by irregularities in the flow of fluids, such as varying pressure and temperature. Turbulence can occur in both natural and man-made systems, and can have significant effects on the performance of vehicles and structures.

2. How does turbulence affect steering control?

Turbulence can make it more difficult for a vehicle or aircraft to maintain its intended course or trajectory. This is because the unpredictable movements of the air or water can disrupt the aerodynamics of the vehicle, causing it to shake, bounce, or veer off course. As a result, steering control may become more challenging, requiring constant adjustments from the pilot or driver.

3. Can turbulence be dangerous for vehicles?

Yes, turbulence can pose a significant danger for vehicles, particularly aircraft. Severe turbulence can cause structural damage, loss of control, and even crashes. In extreme cases, turbulence can also be dangerous for ground vehicles, causing accidents or loss of cargo. As such, it is important for pilots and drivers to be aware of weather conditions and potential areas of turbulence when planning their routes.

4. How do scientists study turbulence and steering control?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study turbulence and steering control. These include computer simulations, wind tunnels, and field experiments using specialized instruments. By analyzing the data collected from these studies, scientists can gain a better understanding of the physical mechanisms behind turbulence and develop more accurate models for predicting its effects on steering control.

5. Can turbulence be controlled or avoided?

Turbulence cannot be completely avoided, as it is a natural occurrence in fluid systems. However, scientists and engineers have developed various methods to minimize its effects on vehicles and structures. These include aircraft design modifications, such as adding winglets to reduce drag, and turbulence mitigation systems, such as active control surfaces. Pilots and drivers can also use real-time weather monitoring and flight planning tools to avoid areas of known turbulence.