Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turbulence and wind gusts

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    I took a recent flight from LAX to SFO on an Airbus 319 and noticed that there was a lot more turbulence than normal. So much so that the plane had to fly at its service ceiling, and even then, there was a good amount of shaking. I even had a mini panic attack and had to call a flight attendant. He said that the plane could handle the turbulence, but passengers inside couldn't, which is why we had to wear seatbelts. It calmed me a bit, but it was still pretty scary.

And I couldn't help but remember about a plane crash I had heard about on the Discovery Channel about a plane that was coming into Denver for landing, but was forced into a nosedive (and crashed) due to a sudden gust of wind.

So my questions are:

1) Can a plane crash from turbulence?
    2) How about that strong gust-of-wind scenario?

It's sad because I used to enjoy flying so much and laughed whenever I heard of people being scared of flying. But now, it's gotten to the point where even the slightest shake, especially during a turn or takeoff, scares me.

I just hope its all in my head.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I suppose anything is possible, but this is not probable. Air craft are designed to withstand turbulence.

I'm not familiar with this incident, but it sounds like wind shear instead of a gust of wind.

Wind shear can indeed cause a plane to crash.

Check out this link for some more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_shear

BTW, the FAA requires all commercial planes to have wind shear detection systems now a days so it's very unlikely that one would go down in this day an age due to wind shear...but it's possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?